SSR International Airport Mauritius, 15 minutes
by taxi to Mahebourg
Mahebourg Mauritius beach
Mahebourg Mauritius aerial view
Mahebourg Mauritius markets
Mahebourg Mauritius colonial roads heritage
Mahebourg Mauritius waterfront
Mahebourg Mauritius colonial buildings heritage
"There’s something relentlessly charming about Mahébourg with its sleepy feel, a mix of old and new and few quirky sights. Budget travellers have a good choice of accommodation here, and it makes a good base for any traveller, with beaches just a short distance out of the town and plenty to see and do in the surrounding area. Founded in 1805, Mahébourg (pronounced my-bor) was named after the famous French governor Mahé de Labourdonnais. It started life as a busy port, but these days it’s something of a backwater, with a small fishing fleet and a relaxed and friendly atmosphere. Lion Mountain stands guard to the north while out to sea a smattering of islands mark the far side of the lagoon, which changes from one intense colour to another at great speed. Mahébourg’s most worthwhile site is its interesting history museum. The church also merits a quick look in passing and, if time allows, it’s worth venturing just north of town to visit a delightful old biscuit factory. There are no beaches in the town itself, but Blue Bay is within easy reach as well as Pointe d’Esny, from where boats leave for Île aux Aigrettes.
Getting there and away
- Mahébourg is an important transport hub.
- There are express buses every half hour to and from Port Louis and at least every 15 minutes from Curepipe.
- Most but not all these buses stop at the airport en route; check before boarding.
- The shuttle to Blue Bay runs every 30 minutes.
- Buses running north from Mahébourg go to Centre de Flacq via Vieux Grand Port every 20 minutes or so. Heading south, there are less frequent services to Souillac via Rivière des Anguilles.
- A taxi for the 15-minute hop from SSR international airport to Mahébourg costs around Rs 350. From Port Louis expect to pay Rs 600." Source: Lonely Planet Guide
- "Mahebourg named after the famous french Governor Mahe La Bourdonnais but pronounced may burg, was once a busy port. Now it is a run down commercial centre with a small fishing fleet. Mahebourg is a lot friendlier, has home character and is more relaxed than the tourist spiels would have you believe. It is also a nearest centre to the airport and visitors may find themselves spending the first or last few days there. The bay is a picturesque backdrop for the town, with the sea changing from one intense colour to another at great speed.
- Assembly of God Church This is not a significant building or religious other group; there are probably several similar other congregations throughout the island.
- A visit to one when there is a service in progress adds a bit of local colour and warmth to an otherwise ponderous round of 'sightseeing.'
- The church is near Rue des Flarnands, on Pia Rue de Maurice.
- Blue Bays is the official public beach closest to Mahebourg.
- This attractive beach can get quite busy on weekends.
- Good private beaches stretch back to Mahebourg past pointe des Deux Cocos to pointe D'Esny.
IIe aux Aigrettes
- This Island was established as a nature reserve in 1985.
- Many of the plant species very to rare remnants of the coastal forests are found on the island's 25 hectares ( Mauritius).
- As part of a MWAF project, approximately half of the island has been cleared of introduced species and native plants are being replanted.
- The ecosystem is also being restored with the eradication of rats and shrews, which are imported pests that cause damage to rare plant species and prevent the reintroduction of endemic reptiles, such as snakes, skinks, (Telfair's) and geckos (Gunther's).
- The island serves as a convenient quarantine station for pink pigeons and Mauritius kestrels sent from overseas breeding schemes for eventual release in the wild.
- Guests at the nearby La Croix du Sud hotel on the main-land have become used to the sight of kestrels popping over from the island for a visit.
La Val Nature Park
- The road into Le Val is at Union Park Village, about halfway on the Mahebourg Curepipe road, Cluny village, the gateway to Le Val Nature Park in the valley of the Riviere des Creole, is about 7km down the road.
- Many of the amazing anthurium flowers are grown at Le Val in shade houses.
- There are also water fields full watercress, which, complements many Creole meals, and attemps at prawn farming.
- Other facilities include a small aquarium and a deer park.
- Le Val is open Monday to Friday from 9am to 5pm.
- There is a bus service from Curepipe to Rose Belle, via Cluny.
National Historical Naval Museum
- The well-planned wide streets in the old section of Mahébourg still bear testimony to this Dutch and French colonial past.
- After the French chose Port Louis as the main port Mahébourg declined into a sleepy coastal city.
- The past is still preserved today in the Historical Naval Museum which also recounts the epic naval battles of the past between the French Navy and the Royal Navy.
- The Dutch historical museum in Grand Port recounts the early Dutch settlement of the island.
Vieux Grand Port
- About 7km north of Mahebourg, Vieux Grand Port has great historical significance for Mauritius.
- The Dutch made Vieux Grand Port their base and called it Fort Fredrick Henric.
- About 4km from Mahebourg, on the bank of a river, is a monument commemorating the first landing by Dutch sailors, which took place on 9 September 1598 under the command of Wyband Van Warwick.
- The Monument was erected in 1948 by the Mauritius Historical Society.
Lion Mountain in Mauritius
- Overlooking Vieux Grand Port is Lion Mountain so named because it resembles a crouching lion.
- There are two routes up - one via the road opposite the church in the town through the cemetery; and the other via police station.
- Both lead through sugar cane fields on the foot slopes.
- The climb is relatively easy although steep.
Pointe du Diable
- Devils Point, 8km north of Vieux Grand Port, was once the site of a French coastal battery.
- The cannons remain.
St Geran Monument
- It was off Poudre d’Or in 1744 that the famous St Geran was carrying machinery from France for the first sugar refinery on the island.
- A French diving expedition excavated the wreck in 1966 and the results of the expedition are on display at the Naval Museum in Mahebourg.
- South of Mahebourg are the beaches at Point d'Esny; and at Blue Bay
Getting to Mahebourg
- Bus the quickest way to get to Port Louis and continue, for example from there to Grand Baie, is to take the express service, which leaves quite regularly during the day.
- It cost a bit more, but takes around half the time of the standard services which can take up to two hours to reach Port Louis .
- On a much less frequent basis, buses run in the other direction from Mahebourg to Centre de flacq Rs 20, via Vieux Grand Port and Grand Sable, and to Souillac Rs 12 via Riviere des Anguilles." Source: Mauritius Delight.com
Anitas Affordable Apartments Bookstore
Books and FREE Ebooks
Books and E-Books Borrow or Buy
1. Budget Vacations Europe
2. Adventure Vacations Canada
3. Historical Fiction
5. Personal Journals
6. Photographs Nain Tourism Nunatsiavut, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada
7. Vacations Canada
9. Self-catering Accommodation Mauritius
10. Volunteering, Voluntary Service Overseas, VSO
1. Budget Vacations Europe
Photographs of Rome Italy
Photographs of Rome Italy consists of 100 coloured photographs taken from 10-17 October 2004 which emphasise the ancient history of the city. Llewelyn Pritchard M.A. ISBN/EAN13:1481018698 / 10:9781481018692
Malaga -Torremolinos Spain
https://www.amazon.com/Malaga--Torremolinos-Spanish-Budget-Holiday/dp/1468040332/ref=la_B0061KYLG2_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1341999427&sr=1-13 Malaga -Torremolinos A Spanish Budget Holiday. Photographs of a budget-based Spanish holiday and useful background information about Malaga -Torremolinos situated on the Costa del Sol, Spain. Llewelyn Pritchard M.A. ISBN-13: 978-1468040333 ISBN-10: 1468040332
https://www.amazon.com/Nice-France-Holiday-short-break-Illustrated/dp/1468045474/ref=la_B0061KYLG2_1_20?ie=UTF8&qid=1341997755&sr=1-20 https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/247374 Nice France Holiday [English Edition]