The Gate Church of the Trinity is an Orthodox church built above the Holy Gates of Kyiv Pechersk Lavra in Kyiv in 1106-1108. Kyiv Pechersk Lavra is one of the first monasteries of Kievan Rus and one of the most important Orthodox shrines.
In 1240, during the Mongol invasion, after the destruction of the Assumption Cathedral, the Gate Church of the Trinity became the main church of the monastery. The Gate Church on the Trinity on Google Maps. Photos by: Maxim Ritus.
At the end of the 17th century and throughout the 18th century, the church was significantly reconstructed in the style of Ukrainian baroque and acquired its present form.
This architectural monument of the 12th-18th centuries is the only above ground construction of the Lavra that has remained intact since the times of Kievan Rus, one of the main monuments of architecture, culture and history of the Ukrainian people.
The wall paintings of The Gate Church of the Trinity are the most valuable monuments of Ukrainian art of the early 18th century.
The wall paintings are distinguished by impeccable expressiveness of colors, high compositional skills. In total, there are more than 100 compositions, in which the Orthodox dogmatic doctrine is set forth in the artistic language of the Baroque era with its poetic and aesthetic techniques.