- Command prompt or cmd is a command line interface in windows which executes commands entered by the user.Command prompt can be used to control whole computer from shutting it down to launching applications ,formatting drives to creating partitions and what not.In this post we will be teaching you how to format the a drive or pendrive or hard disk using command prompt which could probably remove the remove the virus too from the pendrive.
- Sometime when try to format it in normal way that is by Right clicking on drive and choosing the format option it refuses to format the drive and you may not be able to use it unless you format it then you have to force the pendrive to get formatted and this can be done in command prompt with just a simple command.
Format pendive or hard disk using command prompt:
1.Press windows button and “R” at same time to get the “run” box.
2.Type cmd and it should open command prompt.
3.Now connect your pendrive to the computer and type the command the command”format x:” where x is the location of the device and press enter.
4.Once you type the command and press enter once you press enter it requests to insert a pendrive.if you have already connected it hit enter.
5.But it takes lot of time to format the pendrive.If you cant wait too long to format the pendrive then you can quick format it too.
6.If you want to make a quick format then type the command “format /q x:” where q in the command line stands for quick format while x is the pendrive location.once you press the enter key the process initialises and it will prompt you to assign a label to the pendrive.You can either assign a label or simple press enter.
7.Quick format will take less than 2 seconds to completely erase the data on the pendrive.
How to change file system of the pendrive using cmd:
- File system is a structure that is used to organize the data on the hard drive.In windows we hav three types of the file system one is ntfs while the other two are Fat32 and Fat 16.
- Untill windows 98 Microsoft used fat32 file system and in later operating system they used both ntfs and fat32 file systems.
- Ntfs is used in newer operating system for several reasons some of them are its ability to recover erased registries,it can hold huge amount of data unlike the fat32 which are limited to hold only 4gb of data at a time and other being better security through encryption.
- But if you want to install a windows operating system then you will be forced to use Fat32 file system in the primary partition.
If you want to change the partition of the hard drive , pendrive ,sdcard or anyotherstorage devics ,then you can simply do it using command prompt (cmd).
1.Connect the pendrive to computer.
2.Open the command prompt (cmd) and type the command “format x: /fs:ntfs” and press enter.
this would change the pendrive file system to ntfs.
3.If you want to format the pendrive using fat32 then use this command “format x: /fs:fat32” and press enter and it takes some time,
4.If you cant wait too long then use this command “format /q x: /fs:fat32 ” and press enter.This will format the drive with fat32 file system and will be done in few seconds.
5.You can replace fat32 with ntfs if you want ntfs file sytem.
Final words on formatting pendrive using cmd :
- By using simple command in the command prompt(cmd) you will be able to format the pendrive , hard drive or any external storage devices easily with out any trouble and you even change the file system too.
- We can actually use normal way of formatting the drive but some times it may not work because of virus.Using cmd if the storage device refuses to format then it will force it to get formatted but it prompts you before doing that.In this guide we also shared about changing file formats types also.Fat32 usually wont allow any file which is over 4gb to be copied to storage devices.In this case you need to switch to Ntfs file system so that you have huge files available in your external storage devices.
If you have any other queries regarding this guide don’t forget to leave a comment below
The post Format The Pendrive Or Hard Disk Using Command Prompt(CMD) appeared first on EasyWay 2 Learn.