Harvest Dream Cake
Today we’re going to take you way back with a vintage, delicious fall dessert recipe that has been around since the 40’s. Baked using Swans Down Cake Flour, this Harvest Dream Cake is light and soft, with a perfect, airy texture.
With my favorite time of the year quickly approaching, I wanted a dessert that brought in all of the best flavors together and this classic recipe does that deliciously! This cake has been a huge hit with the family, and I’m excited to share it with you today.
- 2 1/2 cup Swans Down Cake Flour
- 3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3/4 cup butter
- 1 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 3 eggs
Butter Cream Frosting
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 4 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 6 teaspoons milk
- Stir shortening to soften
- Sift in dry ingredients
- Add brown sugar
- Add 3/4 cup milk, 1 teaspoon vanilla and mix until all flour is dampened
- Beat 2 minutes
- Add eggs and beat 1 minute longer
- Pour cake batter into 2 9″ cake pans and bake at 375° for 25 minutes, or until done
- Start on frosting: beat 1/2 cup butter in a large bowl until creamy
- Beat in confectioners’ sugar, vanilla, and enough milk to achieve desired consistency (usually 5 or 6 teaspoons)
- After the cake is done, let cool. Spread buttercream frosting between layers and on top and sides of cake.
- Sprinkle crushed almonds around edge of the cake.
The post Harvest Dream Cake appeared first on The Frugal Sisters.