We all hate laundry day, especially when bedding is involved, and even MORE especially if you have more than one bed to strip, wash, dry, and remake. Talk about a fun day! But while your sheets are already off I recommend you take this one extra step to refresh your Mattress.
Refreshing your mattress every month or two will ensure that you’re not putting your nice clean sheets back on a mattress covered with dead skin cells and dust mites…. gross! Dust mites live in your bedding, curtain, clothes and even hair, causing allergic reactions in many people. While you do NOT want me to write more about these microscopic insects, you DO want to know how to get rid of them.
What you’ll need…
- Small glass jar
- 1 cup baking soda (enough to refresh a queen size mattress)
- 4-5 drops essential oil
I had been meaning to refresh my mattress for quite some time and I had everything I needed but it wasn’t until I saw a glass parmesan cheese shaker at Dollar Tree that I became truly inspired… keep reading, it makes sense, I promise.
How to do it…
- Strip your bedding and wash in HOT water (high temperature = dead dust mites) with a natural laundry detergent. Washing your sheets and pillow cases once a week can significantly improve allergy/asthma symptoms, according to WebMD. Blankets should be washed once a month and your mattress protector, mattress pad, and pillow protectors should be washed every other month.
- Measure out 1 cup of baking soda and put it in a small jar of your choice. Add 4-5 drops of your favorite essential oil (try lemon for a clean, fresh scent!) – more for a stronger scent, less for a more subtle scent.
- Cover the jar and shake to mix. Sprinkle the entire contents of your jar evenly across the mattress (Enter: Cheese shaker from the Dollar Tree! It makes the sprinkling so easy!)
- Let sit for 30-60 minutes to allow the baking soda to thoroughly absorb any moisture
and bad odors and then vacuum the mattress using the hose attachment of your vacuum.
- Once your bedding is clean and thoroughly dry, make your bed and climb in because there is nothing better than a freshly made bed.
So what’s stopping you!? Get to work refreshing the mattresses in your home and sleep healthy❤