These Semi-Homemade Vegetarian Refried Beans are lower in sodium than traditional recipes, vegetarian, and simply delicious. Ready in 30 minutes or less, you’re going to love this healthy and simple side dish.
We love a good heaping helping of Refried Beans served alongside our burritos, tacos, and enchiladas, but the canned varieties are packed with sodium and they’re often bland. Although making refried beans from scratch is ideal, we don’t always have the time for that so we turn to this simple recipe for Semi-Homemade Vegetarian Refried Beans in 30 Minutes. Packed with protein, and amazingly bold flavors, these beans deliver a vegetarian side dish that’s lower in fat and sodium than traditional recipes.
Home Chef Tip: Make a big batch before a party, sprinkle with cheese, and serve with tortilla chips for a simple appetizer that's sure to please any crowd.
- 2 cans no salt added pinto beans, drained
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 can No Salt Added Ro*tel®, drained
- 1-8 oz can no salt added tomato sauce
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tbsp ground cumin
- In a blender or food processor, process the drained beans until just lumpy, but creamy, and set aside.
- In a medium-sized sauce pan over medium heat, heat the oil, then reduce heat to medium-low and sauté the diced onions until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add the processed beans to the sauce pan and stir.
- Add the tomato sauce, Ro*tel, chili powder, and cumin, and stir to thoroughly combine.
- Simmer over low heat for 15 minutes.
- Serve warm and enjoy.
Looking for entrées to pair this side dish with? Here are a few of our favorites:
- Heart-Healthy, Tex-Mex Mahi Mahi Tacos – Baked Mahi Mahi is seasoned to perfection and served up on a low carb tortilla, topped with fresh tomato, avocado, red onion, corn, and low-fat cheese.
- Mexican Lettuce Wraps – These easy to assemble wraps are filled with chicken, black beans, salsa, peppers, and avocados and they’re the perfect way to get tons of flavor without all of the extra calories.
- Heart-Healthy Taco Salad Bowl – Drastically reduce the sodium of a traditional Taco Salad Bowl when you make this Heart Healthy Taco Salad Bowl recipe instead. Just as delicious and your heart, and stomach, will thank you!
- Grilled Pork Chops with Warm Summer Salsa – This recipe needs to be in your grilling arsenal this year. Grilled salsa is served warm over juicy, melt in your mouth, Mexican-seasoned grilled pork chops that are nothing short of heavenly!
We hope you love this simple recipe for Semi-Homemade Vegetarian Refried Beans in 30 Minutes as much as we do. If you enjoyed this recipe, be sure to stop by our Low Sodium section for more heart-healthy recipes. For daily recipe inspiration, like us on Facebook, follow us on Pinterest, and stop by our Google+ Community to see all of the amazing recipes our community members are sharing. Follow my blog with Bloglovin Enjoy!
The post Vegetarian Refried Beans in 30 Minutes appeared first on SoFabFood.