The smoky, complex flavor of this simple vegetarian chili comes from basic pantry ingredients, vegetables and spices! It makes great leftovers, too. This chili recipe is easy, fast, and vegetarian. It makes for a hearty weeknight dinner.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper, chopped
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 3 ribs of celery, chopped
- ½ teaspoon of salt, divided
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons of chili powder
- 2 teaspoons of ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon of smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon of dried oregano
- 800gr of diced tomatoes, with their juices
- 800gr of black beans, rinsed and drained
- 400gr of pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 500ml of vegetable broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons of chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 to 2 teaspoons of red wine vinegar, to taste
In a large heavy-bottomed pot over medium heat, warm the olive oil until shimmering. Add the chopped onion, bell pepper, carrot, celery and ¼ teaspoon salt. Stir to combine and then cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are tender and the onion is translucent, for about 10 minutes.
Add the garlic, chili powder, cumin, smoked paprika and oregano. Cook until fragrant while stirring constantly.
Add the diced tomatoes and their juices, the drained black beans and pinto beans, vegetable broth and bay leaf. Stir to combine and let the mixture come to a simmer. Continue cooking, stirring occasionally and reducing heat as necessary to maintain a gentle simmer, for 30 minutes. Remove the chili from heat.
For the best texture and flavor, transfer 300ml of the chili to a blender and blend until smooth, then pour the blended mixture back into the pot.
Add the chopped cilantro, stir to blend, and then mix in the vinegar, to taste. Add salt to taste. Divide the mixture into bowls and serve with garnishes of your choice.
Do not miss the recipe, follow us on Facebook, click here !