Mention “Roti Pachadi” to any Andhra and you will see them smile from ear to ear. “Roti Pachadi” literally means chutneys made using a mortar and pestle. Using the traditional traditional grinding stone, gives chutneys a unique taste and texture that a mixer-grinder cannot replicate. I have been meaning to document the rich collection of “Roti Pachallu” and here is a great start.
Yesterday, I made Pachi Mirapakaya Kharam Pachadi (Andhra Style Green Chilli Chutney) using this traditional way after ages and the result was amazing.
Pachi Mirapakaya Kharam is very very spicy and just a dab of it is enough to satisfy any craving for spicy food. I ate it as a side for Mudda Pappu Annam yesterday.
You could also try the Maharashtrian-style Green Chilli Pickle or Hirvi Mirchi cha Thecha.
- Spicy Green Chillies or Pachi Mirapakayalu - 30
- Fresh Coriander Leaves or Kothimeera - 3 Handfuls
- Rai, Mustard Seeds or Avalu- 1 tsp
- Methi, Fenugreek Seeds or Menthulu - ¼ tsp
- Oil - 2-3 tbsp
- Salt to Taste
- Ensure that the green chillies are dry. I dried them on a cotton cloth for about 2 hours. Do not cut the chillies. Keep them whole.
- Ensure that the fresh coriander is dry. I dried them on a cotton cloth for about 1 hour. Do not dry it longer or it will wilt.
- In a shallow pan, heat the oil.
- Turn the heat down to low-medium.
- Add the mustard seeds and wait till they start to pop.
- Add the fenugreek seeds and saute till they start to change colour.
- Add the green chillies.
- Saute till they start to change colour. Ensure that the heat is low-medium, otherwise the green chillies will pop.
- Add the coriander and saute till it wilts.
- Turn off the heat and let the mix cool to room temperature.
- If you are using a mixer-grinder, pulse to a coarse paste along with some salt.
If you are using a mortar and pestle, grind in small batches to a coarse paste. Do not pound as the green chilli pieces will fly.
- Enjoy with rice, roti, idli, or upma.
If the chillies start popping, just cover the pan with a plate for a few minutes.
Do not grind into a smooth paste. The Pachi Mirapakaya Pachadi should be coarse in texture.
Eat with caution as it is very spicy.
If you want variety, add some mint leaves.
The post Pachi Mirapakaya Kharam or Pachadi – Andhra Style Green Chilli Chutney appeared first on ãhãram.
This post first appeared on ãhãram | Easy To Make Vegetarian And Vegan Recipes, please read the originial post: here