Looking for an easy and healthy weeknight dinner or a side for meat dishes? Peperonata is a Sicilian classic. Traditionally made with Capsicum
and tomatoes it is healthy, low-calorie but still very filling. The Italians say peperonata for dinner gives you nightmares, but that’s only true if you eat a lot of it. Instead eat it with pasta, grilled chicken or as a bruschetta topping! This is also a great recipe for vegans. You don’t find many vegan Italian recipes out there I guess…
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Baking Time: 30-40 minutes
| |Ingredients (serves 6):
- 1 kg capsicum, use different colours
- 400 g crushed tomatoes
- 2 medium sized onions (I suggest red ones)
- 6 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- 100 ml vegetable stock
- 100 ml white wine
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Some basil leaves
- Prepare all the ingredients you need: Slice the capsicum (remove the seeds and the white part), slice the onions (both in fine slices), peel the garlic.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan or sauce pan.
- Add the garlic cloves, then add the onions – fry them on low heat for 10-15 minutes.
- Add the capsicum and mix well with the onions, cover and let simmer on low heat for 15 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, white wine and vegetable stock, if you use tomato passata, don’t add vegetable stock! Let simmer for another 15 minutes.
- Add salt, pepper and basil leaves.
How to cut a capsicum quickly: