Summer in South Africa is best spent outdoors. Our country boasts some of the most picturesque settings in the world, and whether you prefer the beach, a local park, or even your back garden, consider entertaining outside.
Preparing a Picnic is not the same as catering for friends or family – it should be fuss free, offering simple foods to snack on and enjoy.
Here are our recommendations for a Perfect Picnic, and how to prepare for an event outdoors.
- For a convenient method of storing salad or fruit, consider using sealed mason jar Finely chopped and layered ingredients not only look festive and inviting, but also save on mess and serving hassles. Attach a re-useable or disposable fork to the jar for added convenience.
- Prep a selection of chunky-cut crudités like cucumber, celery and carrot sticks and serve with home-made dips such as hummus, tzatziki, and guacamole.
- Mini pies are a hearty option perfect for a picnic basket. They can be served cold, making them tasty additions to your picnic feast. You can also offer guests a range of flavours, from simple chicken and mushroom, to a Moroccan lamb spiced pie. Simply make your filling of choice, line a muffin tray with puff pastry and bake according to instructions.
- Sandwiches and wraps are also excellent for picnicking. Opt for fresh, simple ingredients like chicken mayonnaise and lettuce, or even a caprese filling with basil, mozzarella and Italian tomato slices, laid out on a crispy home-baked baguette or flour tortilla. Wrap them up in brown paper bag and secure with string – making them easy to hold and picking up any mess whilst eating.
The Cherry on Top
- Round off your perfect picnic with fresh and colourful fruit skewers, or keep it simple with a selection of good chocolates and fresh strawberries.
- If you have more time to prepare, bake some chocolate truffle cookies or apricot granola bars for your guests to pass around. Mess-free, bite-sized treats that the whole family can enjoy.
- For those who prefer more savoury treats, simple cold meats, cheese, crackers and homemade preserves are easy to pack and fun for guests to snack on.
Wash it Down
Bring a bottle of water and some of your favourite juices or sodas to quench everyone’s thirst. Additionally, treat your picnic guests to this delicious iced beetroot and berry frappe. As it’s best Served Cold, make one for each person and seal it in a jar with crushed ice. Guests can enjoy them upon arrival.
For a picnic-Perfect summer, download our checklist to ensure that you have everything.
If you’re looking to broaden your cooking horizons even further, sign up today with Capsicum Culinary Studio or follow our social platforms to submit your ideas.
The post Pack the perfect picnic appeared first on Capsicum.