Hi everyone! Today I would like to show you the recipe that I had a lot when I was in a senior year in bachelor degree. It's called "Khao Moo Daeng" or Roasted Red Pork with rice.
Sometimes me and my friends who were in the same major gotta work a lot in lab to get the result for writing report. And yes, we gotta work hard until the late of the night ( sometimes it could be 11 pm!). So we need to buy something for our dinner. Sometimes we went to mini mart in order to buy some snacks. Sometimes we need to go to the restaurant which is located nearby the university for having dinner. There were 2 dishes that I ordered quite often when I was there. The first one is rice with a roasted duck which is very yummy. Another dish is rice with Roasted Red Pork with a little bit of gravy. It tasted really yummy and it gave me a lot of energy for working in a lab at night.
When I moved to Sweden. I tried to find the restaurant which serve this recipe. But unfortunately I cannot find one so I need to make it by myself. The pork of this recipe is very juicy and you can get the smell of cinnamon in the gravy. So let's see how to cook this recipe.
PREP TIME : 4 hours
COOK TIME : 45 minutes
READY IN : 4 hours 45 minutes
Ingredients ( for 2 portions)1. 300 g pork loin
2. 2 tablespoons ketchup
3. 2 tablespoons + 1/4 cup + 1/2 cup water
4. 2 tablespoons + 1 tablespoon brown sugar
5. 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
6. 1/2 tablespoon + 1 Tablespoon Light Soy sauce
7. 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
8. 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
9. 1/4 teaspoon red coloring agent
10. 1 cilantro ( coriander) root, minced
11. 1/2 tablespoon corn starch
1. Mix ketchup , 2 tablespoons brown sugar , 2 tablespoons water, ouster sauce, 1/2 tablespoon light soy sauce , ingredients 7-10 in a mixing bowl. Marinate the pork with the mixture. Cover and marinate at least 2 hours in the refrigerator.
2. Add pork and marinade in a medium sauce pan, add 1/4 cup water and simmer the mixture with a medium heat until the mixture becomes thicker ( which is around 15 minutes) . Remove from the heat and take the pork out of the saucepan.
3. Preheat the oven at 175 degree celsius ( around 350 F). Stick the kitchen thermometer to the thickest part of the pork. Then put the pork in the oven. The pork is done when the inner temperature reaches 74 degree celsius ( 165 F ), which is around 30 minutes . Take out the pork from the oven then wrap the meat in aluminium foil. Let the meat cool down for at least 15 minutes before slicing.
4. Making a sauce by mixing the sauce from 2) with 1/2 cup of water, 1 tablespoon brown sugar and 1 tablespoon light soy sauce. Heat the mixture with a medium heat. Mix 1/2 tablespoon corn starch with 1 tablespoon cold water. Once the mixture is boiled , add the corn starch mixture in a saucepan and stir continuously. And yes the sauce is done!
* you can actually adjust the amount of soy sauce and sugar as you want. It depends on the Red Pork sauce which is left from 2)
5. Serve the sliced roasted red pork and the sauce with rice, chinese sausage, hard boiled egg and cucumber. But for me, only roasted red pork is enough.
Well as you can see, it's not so hard to cook this recipe. It just takes time. I used to make it as my lunch box and it reheats very well. So if you find the recipe which reheats well, try this!
I hope you enjoy reading this recipe and I hope that you would like to try this recipe at home.