Chole Masala or Punjabi chana masala is a very popular chickpea dish that tastes great with roti, chapathi or naan. It is a delicious and flavourful dish made by cooking chickpeas in a gravy of onions, tomatoes and spices. It is the addition of Ground Chickpea Paste that adds a great taste, texture and the desired thickness to the gravy.
Other recipes with chickpeas
Chickpea/ chana rice
1 cup chickpeas
4 tbsp oil
1 onion finely chopped
3 tomatoes pureed
2 tbsp ginger garlic paste
1 tsp red chilli powder
1 tsp coriander powder
2 tsp chole masala (I used Aachi)
1 tsp salt (or to taste)
Chopped coriander leaves for garnish
- Wash and soak the chickpeas in water overnight.
- Pressure cook with water and salt for 8 whistles or till soft.
- Take half of the boiled chickpeas in a mixer grinder and grind to a smooth paste. Keep ready.
- Heat oil in a pan, add onions and saute till they turn soft.
- Add ginger garlic paste and saute till the raw smell goes.
- Now add the masala powders and salt and mix well.
- Add the tomato puree and cook till oil starts separating.
- Add the ground chickpea paste to this and coriander leaves and mix well.
- Finally add the remaining chickpeas and 1/2 cup water and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for a couple of minutes.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot.
If you like this post please post a comment in the comment section below and share this post through your social media channels. Like us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Google plus for updates on new posts.