SPICED GROUND TURKEY WRAP WITH WATERCRESS AND AVOCADO
Yield: 1 to 2 servings
This luscious, spicy ground turkey wrap makes a quick, savory lunch or dinner. It can be brought to work and easily re-heated. If you are looking for less calories, use a romaine lettuce leaf for the wrap instead of the tortilla or make it a salad instead of a sandwich.
Let your senses be enlivened with a blend of warm, aromatic and flavorful spices: cinnamon, coriander, turmeric, and cayenne pepper. Cinnamon is shown to help moderate blood sugar and to aid digestion; studies credit curcumin, a compound found in turmeric, with powerful antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and cancer-preventive properties (plus I love the bright, lively yellow color it leaves behind); and cayenne pepper, with its fiery kick, helps get the digestive juices flowing and, based on various studies, is a powerful anti-inflammatory.
Watercress, with its soft, vibrant leafy greens and slightly peppery taste, is a nutrient dense vegetable. A member of the brassica family, watercress contains calcium, magnesium, iron, vitamins A, C, and K and so much more. Make this amazing food a regular nutritious and delicious addition to your salads! And let’s not forget the creamy avocado (technically a fruit), a great source of fiber, healthy monounsaturated fat, potassium, and vitamins A, B, and E. To store cut avocado, sprinkle it with lemon juice, place in an airtight container, and refrigerate.
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 yellow onion, thinly sliced
1/2 medium size carrot, julienned
Spiced Ground Turkey on a bed of watercress, baby spinach and avocado.
1 garlic clove, minced
1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon coriander
1/8 teaspoon turmeric
couple dashes cayenne pepper (adjust to your taste)
1/8 teaspoon sea salt
1/8 teaspoon Ground black pepper
5 ounces ground Turkey (thigh; I prefer dark turkey because of its higher iron content, a common deficiency with Celiac)
2 tablespoons chicken or vegetable broth *optional
1 teaspoon organic Worcestershire Sauce ( “Wan Ja Shan” brand is gluten-free and dairy-free) *optional
1 gluten-free tortilla **
1/4 avocado, mashed with a fork
1/2 cup baby spinach, rinsed
1/2 cup watercress, rinsed
- In a medium sauté pan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onions and carrots and sauté until onions are translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, cinnamon, coriander, turmeric, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper. Sauté over medium heat for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the ground turkey, breaking it up into pieces with a spoon. Cook ground turkey until browned, about 6 to 8 minutes.
- Add 2 tablespoons of chicken or vegetable broth (optional) and cook for 1 minute.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, add Worcestershire sauce (optional), and cook for 2 minutes. Remove cooked turkey mixture from pan and transfer to a covered bowl.
- In sauté pan, heat tortilla over low heat or warm tortilla in toaster oven.
- Spread a layer of mashed avocado onto warmed tortilla. Add spinach, watercress, turkey mixture and roll.
* The broth and Worcestershire sauce are optional. I use homemade broth in many of my dishes to aid in digestion and to add another layer of incredible flavor. A dash of gluten-free Worcestershire sauce adds a little bit of fun and zing.
**If you would like to make your own flatbreads/wraps, try “Breads from Anna” mixes. Use one package of the gluten, dairy, and yeast free mix and follow the recipe in the link: https://breadsfromanna.com/recipes/flatbread These flatbreads are oustanding in taste and texture, stay moist and don’t crumble and crack.