Just like your favorite classic brownie, these indulgent Red Velvet Beet Brownies are chocolatey and moist, but these have a healthy twist you can feel good about! Shhhh…it’s our secret!
The first time I tried making these Red Velvet Beet Brownies, I kept thinking that there was no way that these healthier classics were ever going to match up to the classic brownies I love. I couldn’t have been more wrong! The brownies were rich, moist, and chocolatey; everything you would want in a brownie, but with a healthy twist.
I know what you are wondering – “Can we taste the beets?”, “Will my kids find out that I snuck in veggies?”. The answer to both questions is no, surprisingly. The beets just blend in with the chocolate making them super moist. Just make sure you don’t go overboard with the beets and keep it to 1/2 cup, unless of course you love the taste of beets.
How is this Red Velvet Beet Brownies recipe healthier?
In this red Velvet Beet Brownies recipe, I replaced butter with coconut oil to introduce a healthier blend of fatty acids. I also added beets to reduce the amount of saturated fat. The addition of beets also helps make the brownies extra moist.
Now, who doesn’t like a moist brownie?
In lieu of salt, I also added some Sea Salt Caramel chocolate chip morsels and they took these brownies to a whole new level. If you are not into sea salt caramel flavor, you could easily substitute it with semi-sweet or milk chocolate chip morsels and add a pinch of salt.
- 1/2 cup melted coconut oil
- 1/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chip morsels + 1/4 cup sea salt caramel chip morsels
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup puréed beets (beets are boiled and puréed)
- 3 eggs
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup white chocolate chips (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray the bottom and sides of a 9-inch square pan with cooking spray or line the pan with parchment paper.
- Microwave coconut oil and chocolate chips (semi-sweet + sea salt caramel) in a bowl for 20 seconds. Stir and continue to heat in the microwave in 10 second intervals until most, but not all, of the chocolate is melted. Stir the chocolate until it is smooth, shiny, and completely melted.
- Mix the sugar, puréed beets, and eggs with an electric mixer on high speed for 5 minutes.
- Add in the coconut-chocolate mixture and beat on low speed until the chocolate is blended in with the rest of the mixture.
- Mix the flour, cocoa powder, and baking powder in a separate bowl and add it to the chocolate mixture and beat it in just until it is mixed.
- Pour the batter to the pan and spread it out evenly. Sprinkle white chocolate chips over it.
- Bake for 30 minutes and do a toothpick test – a brownie is considered done if the toothpick comes out with a few moist crumbs still sticking. If you see wet batter, continue to bake another 5-8 minutes.
- Cool completely in the pan on a cooling rack and cut into rows and columns, usually a 4X4 to make 16 brownies.
Home Chef Tip: If you are not into sea salt caramel flavor, you could easily substitute it with semi-sweet or milk chocolate chip morsels and add a pinch of salt.
We hope you love these Red Velvet Beet Brownies from SoFabFood Home Chef, Anu from Simmer to Slimmer, as much as we do. If you love this recipe, stop by our Desserts section to find more like it. For daily recipe inspiration, subscribe to our newsletter, like us on Facebook, and follow us on Pinterest. Enjoy!