Transform yourself to the streets of Paris with indulgent Caramelized Banana Hazelnut Crepes. They can be served as a decadent dessert or as a Sunday Brunch. Using everyone’s favorite hazelnut chocolate spread allows you to get these ready in just 30 minutes.
Hey there, it’s Edyta from Innocent Delight and today I’m bringing you an amazing recipe for Caramelized Banana Hazelnut Crepes.
This is my spin on a popular dish served in the French Brasserie in Wroclaw, Poland where I worked one summer many moons ago. Caramelized banana Crepes with whipped cream were among the most popular dishes on the menu. The restaurant served both sweet and savory crepe options and I really loved all of them. On the savory side, one of the most popular crepes was a super simple one with just cheese and tomatoes. I often make my favorite savory French classic with ham and cheese.
While working in this restaurant, I learned how to make a perfect French crepes batter, and to this day, I still cook them very often. For this recipe of Caramelized Bananas Hazelnut Chocolate Crepes, I used a sweetened batter. I added sugar and vanilla for a deeper flavor, but this is optional…you can make the batter without adding any sweeteners.
Let’s talk for a second about caramelized bananas. Bananas are good and sweet on their own, but something magical happens when you add them to the butter on a frying pan. The sugar caramelizes and the sweet bananas amplify their sweetness. To take it up the notch, I sprinkled these bananas with a teaspoon of brown sugar. The molasses in the brown sugar adds another depth to the flavor. Pair it with a chocolate hazelnut spread and you’ll have a little taste of heaven in your mouth.
Caramelized Banana Hazelnut Crepes
Now, the thing that I love about this dish is its simplicity. You’ll only need a few simple ingredients to put it together and they’re done in less than 30 minutes. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Chocolate hazelnut spread
- Brown sugar/white sugar and vanilla
For the batter, you will simply use a blender and then just fry the crepes. For the caramelized bananas, you’ll need a frying pan, butter, and bananas. You will use store-bought chocolate hazelnut spread and then, just like that, you’ll have a perfectly sweet dish. Below you will find the full, printable recipe.
The awesome thing about these Caramelized Banana Hazelnut Crepes is that you can serve them as a dessert or as a Sunday Brunch. As a matter of fact, if you want to have crepes for brunch, you should check these 4 Easy Sunday Brunch Crepes Recipes too. You can use any of them or make these amazing Caramelized Bananas Hazelnut Chocolate Crepes and your Sunday will be fantastic.
- 1 cup of flour
- 2 eggs
- ¾ cups of whole milk
- ½ cup of water
- 2 tablespoon of sugar
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla
- 3 tablespoon of melted butter
- Extra melted butter for brushing the pan
- 3 ripe bananas
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- 1 teaspoon of brown sugar
- 6 tablespoon of hazelnut chocolate spread
- Melt 3 tablespoon of butter and then let it cool off.
- Add all batter ingredients into a blender and then blend until smooth.
- Batter can be refrigerated for half hour before frying the crepes, but this step is optional.
- Heat up a 10-inch, non-stick skillet on medium heat.
- Brush the pan with melted butter.
- Pour one ladle of batter into the pan and swirl around to cover all the bottom of the pan.
- Cook for about one minute, flip it, and fry on the other side.
- Repeat the process until you finish the batter.
- You should be able to make 7 crepes from this recipe. Note that the first one never comes out great, so use the rest of the 6 to use with the filling.
- In a frying pan heat up a tablespoon of butter, add cut up bananas, sprinkle with brown sugar, and cook for about 2-3 minutes until bananas are soft and caramelized.
- Spread tablespoon of chocolate hazelnut on the crepe leaving about 1 inch from the edges without chocolate.
- Add 2 tablespoon of bananas mixture; fold in half and then another half.
- Continue with the remaining crepes.
- Serve immediately.
Home Chef Tip: You can skip the process of making your own crepes and use store-bought ones. You will have a dessert or Sunday Bruch ready in 10 minutes.
We hope you enjoy this Caramelized Banana Hazelnut Crepes recipe from SoFabFood Home Chef, Edyta from Innocent Delight, as much as we do. If you love this recipe, be sure to check out our Sunday Brunch section to make your weekends more delightful. For daily recipe inspiration, subscribe to our newsletter, like us on Facebook, and follow us on Pinterest. Enjoy!