Never worry about standing over the stove stirring risotto again! This easy-to-make Baked Butternut Squash Risotto is rich and creamy and bakes up in the oven for a quick and delicious one pot meal.
With winter and colder temps in full force, it’s time to bring on the comfort food. From soups to stews to casseroles, I’m all about warm and hearty meals this time of year. One thing I still don’t have a lot of is time. With busy schedules for both myself and my kids, sometimes it can be a rush to get dinner on the table. That’s why I love one pot meals! Being able to toss my ingredients into one pot and end up with a delicious dinner, plus easy clean up, is exactly what I need on a busy weeknight.
This Baked Butternut Squash Risotto fits the bill for everything I’ve just mentioned. It’s hearty and delicious, warm and comforting, and made in just one dish. And it’s quick and easy to make! I know what you’re thinking…how is risotto quick and easy? I’ve got a surprise for you, friends. This dish is baked in the oven. Gone are the days of standing over the stove, stirring the pot, adding stock, and stirring some more. There is none of that here!
Baked Butternut Squash Risotto Recipe
All you need is a trusty Dutch oven to get things started. Add in onion, garlic, and rosemary until softened, add Arborio rice and let it get nice and toasted, a splash of wine, then add in cubed Butternut Squash and stock. Pop the whole thing in the oven for 20 minutes and voila! Can you believe how easy that is?
When the risotto comes out of the oven, there will be a little bit of liquid still in the pot. Give it a good stir and allow it to sit for just a few minutes. The rest of the liquid will get absorbed and you’ll be left with a creamy and decadent dish. Sprinkle a little fresh Parmesan cheese over the top, and maybe a little more fresh rosemary as well, and dinner is served.
- 2 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup finely diced onion
- 2 garlic cloves, grated
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 1/2 cups Arborio rice
- Coarse salt and ground pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 4 cups peeled and diced butternut squash
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese, for garnish, optional
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF.
- In a medium Dutch oven or ovenproof pot with a lid, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender and translucent, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic and rosemary and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the rice and cook for about 3 minutes, stirring frequently. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the wine and cook until it's completely absorbed, about 2 minutes. Add the squash and broth and bring the mixture to a boil. Cover the pot and transfer it to the oven.
- Bake until the rice is tender and most of the liquid is absorbed, about 20 minutes.
- Spoon the risotto into individual bowls and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Serve with bread, if desired.
Home Chef Tip: When the risotto comes out of the oven, there will be a little bit of liquid still in the pot. Give it a good stir and allow it to sit for just a few minutes. The rest of the liquid will get absorbed and you'll be left with a creamy and decadent dish.
We hope you love this delightful recipe for Baked Butternut Squash Risotto from SoFabFood Contributor, Sarah from The Chef Next Door, as much as we do. If you love this simple recipe, stop by our 30-Minute Meals section to find more like it. Don’t forget to subscribe to our newsletter so that you never miss a single recipe, and you can visit our Pinterest boards for even more incredibly simple weeknight meal ideas. Enjoy!