Beef Bulalo is a type of Filipino Beef shank soup with either regular cabbage or Napa cabbage. This recipe is an enhanced version because of the addition of sweet corn. Aside from providing a bit of sweet taste, it also makes this Filipino soup dish taste even better.
Traditionally, beef bulalo takes a few hours to cook because the shanks need to be tenderized by slow cooking. However, I tried to cut the time shorter in this recipe by using a pressure cooker. It might not be the way authentic bulalo are prepared, but it is a good way to tenderize meat quickly for dishes such as this.
Beef bulalo is best served hot. The broth should be hot enough to cook the fresh cabbage in the bowl. We all enjoyed this with a condiment of spicy fish sauce.
- 2 to 3 lbs. beef shank
- 8 to 10 cups water
- 1 piece beef bouillon
- 2 medium yellow onion, wedged
- 2 ears sweet corn, sliced
- 1 tablespoon whole peppercorns
- ½ cabbage, center portion removed
- 2 to 3 tablespoons fish sauce
- Pour 4 cups water in a pressure cooker pot. Let boil.
- Add the beef shank, peppercorns, corn, and beef bouillon. Cover and pressure-cook for 25 minutes.
- Remove the cover once the pressure is out. Pour additional water. Let boil.
- Add fish sauce. Stir and cook for 2 minutes.
- Arrange fresh layers of cabbage in a large bowl. Top with beef shank and corn. Pour the piping hot broth over the corn and shank.
- Serve hot with rice.
The post Beef Bulalo (Filipino Beef Shank Soup) appeared first on speedyrecipe.com.
This post first appeared on Speedyrecipe.com - Quick Simple Recipes For Busy C, please read the originial post: here