pinach, mushrooms and eggs... Oh, this is a brilliant combination! Simply because these three are my daughter's favourite! And I knew this would be a yummy~licious dish when I saw this recipe over at Spice n Pans. And indeed it was! Thank you Spice n Pans!
To cater for my small family, I've halved the original recipe and make a little tweak here and there. The extra step to deep fried the tofu is compulsory if you ask me. It enhances the flavour of the spinach and tofu, and combined them together.
To complete this dish, this yummylicious deep fried spinach tofu is drenched in a mildly flavoured mushroom gravy. A little bit of
... hmmmmm.... you tell me, aren't you already salivating?
SPINACH TOFU WITH SHIMEJI MUSHROOM
(Recipe adapted from Spice n Pans)Prep Time :
20 minsCook Time :
30 mins + 5 minsTotal Time :
55 mins (+1 hour cooling)Serves :
3 - 4 paxIngredients:Tofu
300ml soy milk (without sugar)
4 eggs, lightly beaten
1/4 tsp salt
50g spinach, chopped finelyMushroom Gravy
1/2 Tbsp chopped garlic
1 pkt shimeji mushroom
1/4 chicken cube
1/2 Tbsp oyster sauce
1/4 tsp sugar
1 tsp dark soy sauce
1 tsp sesame oil
1/2 Tbsp shaoxing wine
Pinch of saltThickening
1 tsp tapioca starch
1 Tbsp water
250g spinach, blanchedDirections:You will need a steam-proof dishware/ container about the size of 7" x 5" and 2" height. Lined all sides with a baking paper.
1. Layer the chopped spinach at the bottom of the lined dishware/ container.
2. In a bowl, combine soy milk and beaten eggs. Add salt and whisk till all ingredients are well incorporated.
3. Slowly sieve the egg mixture into dishware/ container, making sure not to mess up the spinach layer. The chopped spinach will float up and make a nice top layer. Cover with an aluminium foil and steam for 25 - 40 mins, until a skewer inserted comes out clean. Start checking at 25 mins and every 5 mins after.
4. Pull up the baking paper to remove the tofu from the dishware/ container. Leave it on a plate to cool for 1-2 hours.
5. After cooling, remove the baking paper from the tofu. Cut the tofu into 6 equal parts.
6. In a wok, heat enough oil to deep fried the tofu under medium heat. Deep fried until golden brown and drain on paper towel.
7. To make the gravy, sauté garlic until fragrant. Then add in mushroom and stir-fry for a min. Pour the shaoxing wine around the wok/ pan and stir-fry for another 30 secs. Add in water, follow by the rest of the seasonings. Bring the mixture to a boil, and let simmer for 1-2 mins. Taste the broth and adjust accordingly. Thicken up with tapioca starch slurry.
8. To plate, layer blanched spinach at the bottom of the plate. Arrange the deep fried tofu on top of the spinach and pour the gravy over it. Notes:
● Do not over-steamed the tofu else it will be rough. Start checking after 25 mins.
Make this recipe? Don't forget to snap a photo of it and tag #msyummyliciousrecipe
on social media! I would love to see them! Enjoy my recipe!