Kaddu ki Sabzi | How to make Punjabi Style Pethe ki Sabzi Recipe | Easy Pumpkin Dish | Pethe ki Sabzi | Sitaphal ki Sabzi | Pumpkin ki Sabzi | Indian style Pumpkin Dish
How to make Pethe ki Sabzi Recipe with step by step process >> This is a simple and easy Indian style recipe of yellow Pumpkin which is seasoned with whole spices and cooked in ghee made this Sabzi everyone’s delight.
This is purely punjabi style dry pethe ki sabzi that made most of the times at my home.
Kaddu is also named as Indian yellow pumpkin or Sitaphal or Petha is a vegetable that is cooked in almost every Indian homes but with different style.
Though it is a popular Punjabi dish but there are many different versions of making it across India.
Petha is the most popular vegetable used during fasting times. As for the healthy concern, this vegetable is rich in protein, iron, calcium and low in calories.
This is a good choice for diabetic patients and diet conscious. This is really such a cozy and comfort food. This dish is best to have with pooris.
I simply love this dish because of its simplicity and taste. I have learned this recipe from my dadi(grandmother) who cooks excellent Punjabi food. In the below recipe, I have used yellow pumpkin which was sweet and ripe.
If you are looking for more comfort food recipes then do check
tinday ki sabzi
aloo matar paneer
punjabi dum aloo
aloo ka bharta
Let's start to make this easy and quick recipe with simple step-by-step process
Total time : 40 mins
Preparation time : 20 mins
Cooking time : 20 mins
Servings : 4 to 5 people
Course : Main Course
Cuisine : Punjabi
Pumpkin/Kaddu - 1 small (1/2 kg)
Fenugreek seeds/methi seeds - 1/4 tbsp
Chopped Green Chilies - 1 or 2 nos depend upon your taste buds
Cumin seeds/jeera - 1 tsp
Finely Chopped Tomato - 2 to 3 nos
Red chili powder - 1/2 tsp
Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
Garam masala powder - 1/4 tsp
Salt to taste / Sendha namak
Dry mango powder/amchur - 1 tbsp
Sugar - 1 tbsp
Desi ghee /clarified butter /mustard oil - 2 tbsp
Chopped coriander leaves for garnishing
Preparation Method :
1. You will need a round pumpkin with light yellow skin and from yellow inside. Remove the seeds and peel off its skin. Chop it into very small pieces. Set aside.
2. Heat ghee/oil in a pressure cooker, add the fenugreek seeds, chopped green chillies, cumin seeds and fry for a minute on a low flame.
3. Add the chopped pumpkin, tomatoes and add all the spice powders except garam masala and dry mango powder.
4. Cover the pressure cooker with a lid and pressure cook for 1 whistle on a high flame and reduce the flame for 10 minutes till they become soft and mushy.
5. Now open the cooker, mash the cooked and soft pumpkin with the back of spoon, let the water dry out and then add sugar.
6. Stir the mashed pumpkin well and cook for minute or two. Lastly add the garam masala and dry mango powder.
7. Petha sabzi is ready once all the water is dried up, garnished with coriander leaves. Serve hot kaddu ki sabzi with roti or poori, pickle and onion as a side salad.
1. If the sabzi still looks watery to you, then dry the water from the sabzi by cooking it without the lid.
2. For vrat food substitute regular salt with sendha namak (vrat salt) and skip the fenugreek seeds, turmeric powder and garam masala or tomatoes(many people eat tomatoes during fasting or many not).
Happy Cooking & Enjoy !!