This is a really nice Portuguese spicy chicken...not overly hot but about medium. Really good flavor!
- 1 red bell pepper cut into medium chunks
- 1 red onion cut into medium chunks
- 1 yellow onion cut into medium chunks
- 1/8 cup plus 2 tbl. vegetable oil
- 1/8 cup olive oil
- 1 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tea white pepper
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp salt + -
- 5 garlic cloves peeled
- 1/4 cup lemon juice..Meyers lemon is best
- 1 tbl honey
- 3 tbl red wine vinegar
- 1 tbl grated frese ginger
- 12 red Serrano chilies cut in half and seeded..(can use some jalapenos if you want)
- chicken: 4 large or 6 small breasts or 6-8 thighs.
- Preheat oven to 375
- Mix the peppers, onions, 2 tbl vegetable oil, paprika,cayenne and salt and then put the mixture on a baking tray and roast for 20-25 min. stirring once or twice.
- Add garlic and chili peppers and roast for 10 more min.
- Stir again and broil for 2-3 min. until nicely roasted..not burnt.
- Remove from the oven and place in a blender....be sure to use all the juices in the baking tray.
- Add the vinegar, lemon juice, honey, and white pepper. Blend until smooth.
- Add the remaining vegetable oil and the olive oil and blend again until really smooth.
- Marinate the chicken in 1 cup of the sauce for at least 1 hour.
- On a gas or charcoal grill, grill for 4-5 min. per side being careful not to burn.
- You can hold the chicken now until you are ready to proceed. When ready..baste the chicken again and bake for 15 min. at 350. Then broil for 3 min. or so per side. Serve with the remaining sauce on the side.