Here is a truly delicious Vegan and gluten-free Pumpkin Pie recipe. The filling is seasoned to perfection and silky smooth and the crust has little bits of crystalized ginger. It’s so good. It can be enjoyed equally by those without any dietary restrictions at all. I made this pie last December when our oven coven gathered to make Infused Wine for the Holidays. I don’t think that any of gathered that day required a vegan pie, but we all loved it. Here is a picture of Syrie enjoying the pie (and looking like a movie star from a bygone era). Syrie, also helped me take the photos (she’s a professional) in the dim December light.
My goal was to make a vegan pumpkin pie without any soy. I’m just not a fan of tofu in a pie. I’ve been saving it to share all year and almost forgot to do it. I hope it’s not too late! This is a good pie to make a day in advance, since it requires some soaking time for the cashews and then some time in the freezer.
VEGAN AND GLUTEN FREE PUMPKIN PIE
- 1 cup raw cashews soaked in water overnight and then drained
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 3 Tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 cup canned pure pumpkin puree
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon fresh grated nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 Tablespoon bourbon
- the seeds scraped from 1 vanilla bean
Combine the soaked, drained cashews with all of the other ingredients in a blender and process until totally smooth.
ALMOND CRUST (GLUTEN-FREE AND VEGAN)
- 2/3 cup almond meal
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted and still warm, plus a bit for the pan
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- a pinch of sea salt
- 1/3 cup minced crystalized ginger
- 2 teaspoons dry ground ginger
- 2/3 cup brown or white rice flour
- 3 Tablespoons potato starch
- 2 Tablespoon tapioca flour
- Preheat the oven to 4oo degrees. Grease a pie tin with some coconut oil.
- In a medium bowl, combine almond meal, sugar, melted coconut oil, vanilla, salt, dry ginger and crystalized ginger.
- Add the brown rice flour, potato starch and tapioca starch and mix until combined.
- Turn out dough into the prepared tart pan and press it evenly into the sides, and across the bottom, so that there are no cracks. Place tart pan onto the baking sheet in the oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown. Let the pie crust cool completely before filling it.
- Poor the filling in the crust and freeze for at least two hours and up to a full day. Fifteen to thirty minutes before serving, take it out of the freezer and let it warm up and soften a bit.
MORE VEGAN DESSERTS…
This post first appeared on Big Sis Little Dish | Recipes And Food Stories Fro, please read the originial post: here