This easy Chocolate Loaf Cake is super moist, chocolaty and delicious and one of a kind, you will never know this is made with a green vegetable 'Zucchini'!
Making a Bread with Zucchini is pending on my 'Recipe to Try' list form long time. Finally one fine day, when I am set to empty the veggies in my fridge, then this recipe happened. So I ended up making this Chocolate Zucchini Loaf Cake, to make use of all those zucchini. This loaf cake turned out super chocolaty, moist, delicious with very less effort. More over this recipe calls for minimalitic ingredients that are readily available in pantry. I see this recipe happening once in two weeks in my kitchen from now onwards, given that I have a house full of chocolate lovers! Here is the recipe, Njoy!
Adapted from: Two Peas and their Pod
All Purpose Flour ( APF) - 1 cup
Cocoa Powder - 1/2 cup ( Unsweetened)
Baking Soda - 1 tsp
Salt - 1/8 tsp ( a pinch) ( I have used kosher salt)
Eggs - 2 large
Oil - 1/2 Cup ( vegetable or canola, what ever you have)
Dark Brown Sugar - 1 cup
Vanilla Extract - 1 tsp
Grated Zucchini - 1 1/2 cup ( 2 medium zucchini yields this amount)
- Pre-Heat oven to 350 F.
- Grease the bread loaf pan with butter or brush with olive oil on all sides, corners and bottom of the pan.
- Trim edges of zucchini and grate under large flake setting in grater. Measure 1 1/2 cup zucchini and set aside.
- In a medium bowl add APF, Cocoa Powder, Baking Soda, Salt and mix every thing well together. Swift the flour to make sure there are no lumps, and set it aside.
- Take another large bowl, break two eggs into it, add Oil and whisk it very well until combined. Add brown sugar to the same bowl whisk it well. Add Vanilla Extract and mix well. That makes the wet ingredients ready.
- Now add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and whisk very well until everything is combined.
- Add grated zucchini to this mixture and gently fold in well. DO NOT mix or stir here, you don't want to mash the zucchini.
- Transfer this mixture to prepared bread loaf pan and tap on all sides to let the air bubbles out.
- Bake in the oven for 50 - 60 minutes. Once it is done, take it out and let it cool for 15 min in the bread pan.
- Once cooled off, invert into a plate and cut into slices and indulge into moist chocolaty-ness. Serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top of this warm loaf, Oh My, Heavenly!
- I have modified several things in my recipe, compare to original recipe. To make it skinner I have used Oil instead of Butter. For more rich version you can replace oil with 1/2 cup butter.
- Since we are using Brown Sugar in this recipe, this cake won't be super sweet, it brings the more chocolaty-ness out.
- Zucchini makes this cake very moist and spongy, at the end you don't even notice a single flake of zucchini in this cake.
Hope you loved this Chocolate cake made with Green vegetable!
Will be back with another healthy recipe, take care until then!