This Winter, Prepare Yummy Undhiyu At Home With The Magical Satvam Undhiyu Masala! Blog
Those who have tasted Undhiyu before know about its unique flavor and enchanting taste. Undhiyu is one dish which is eagerly awaited by most of the Gujaratis! Traditionally, on the day of Uttarayan – the kite flying festival, people gather on their terraces and eat hot Undhiyu along with fresh fruits, and sweets.
What is Undhiyu?
The word Undhiyu aka Umbadiyu, loosely means ‘upside down’. The Surti Undhiyu Recipe got such an interesting name because the method for preparing Undhiyu involves cooking vegetables and herbs in an underground earthen vessel on top of which the fire is placed to cook them. The main Undhiyu ingredients are potatoes, yam, sweet potatoes, raw bananas, brinjal, string beans, peas, eggplant, and corn. However, the most interesting part of Undhiyu is the ‘Muthiyas’. They are crispy fried dough balls which are mixed in the freshly prepared Undhiyu. Undhiyu is a bit difficult to prepare as per traditional method but there are easier ways to prepare it using modern utensils, the question is…
How to make tasty Undhiyu?
1. Get fresh potatoes, sweet potatoes, unripe bananas, yam, eggplant, and brinjal; and cut them into medium-large pieces.
2. Cut the brinjal diagonally with keeping the stem intact and stuff in the chilli & garlic paste.
3. Get string beans, peas, and other beans into pieces about 1 – 1.5 inch long.
4. In a thick-bottomed handi, heat up some oil; add asafoetida, mustard seeds, and Satvam Undhiyu Masala Powder and beans in hot oil and fry them on low heat.
5. Add the rest of the vegetables in layers and add salt & turmeric powder as per the required taste; let it get baked on high heat.
6. After the vegetables are baked, pour some water to boil the veggies at low heat for at least 15 minutes.
7. Prepare dough balls/ Muthiyas using wheat flour & fenugreek leaves; deep fry them in a separate vessel until they are reddish brown.
8. Add these Muthiyas in the vegetable curry and again boil for 10 to 15 minutes.
9. Mix the curry occasionally but do not stir vigorously.
10. Garnish the Undhiyu with coriander leaves and serve hot Undhiyu along with coriander-garlic chutney, puri or rotlas, along with sweets like shrikhand & jalebi.
How to get that signature taste in the Undhiyu prepared at home?
The secret of preparing yummy Undhiyu at home is in the use of the correct combination of Undhiyu Masala. To mask the aroma of baked vegetables and get the signature taste and flavor in Undhiyu, a special predefined blend of masalas. Satvam Undhiyu Masala consists of a huge spectrum of ground spices like coriander, chilli, cumin, bay leaves, salt, cinnamon, fennel, black pepper, clove, caraway, dry ginger, star anise, black cardamom, mace, fenugreek, nutmeg, and green cardamom.
Buy Satvam Undhiyu Masala now!
Satvam launched the unique blend of Undhiyu Masala in Indian market on 15th December 2017. The 15 gm and 50 gm pack of Satvam Undhiyu Masala are available in all the major grocery retail outlets as well as online from Satvam Nutrifoods shop.
Satvam Nutrifoods is a well-known Undhiyu Masala Manufacturer and exporter in India. Satvam Nutrifoods uses the cryogenic grinding technology for grinding the raw spices at sub-zero temperatures so that the natural and authentic aroma color, and taste remain intact. These ground spices are then blended as per the defined proportions and are stored & packed in totally hygienic conditions.