I was described as “extra” by a colleague at work recently. Whether or not you know what it means I’m sure you can tell that they’re a lot younger than me. I mean, I’m approaching my forties and just have to accept that there are some terms I just shouldn’t go near. Extra is absolutely one of them. Using it in an actual sentence would be the same as me trying to think I could dress like an 18-year-old. It must not be allowed to happen. If you’re still curious, the Urban Dictionary defines this use of extra as:
“Someone who is over the top for completely unnecessary reasons. They will go out of their way to prove this.”
With that in mind – here’s a recipe for oven-baked Parmesan Truffle Fries. Yep – it appears that I’m no longer content with a bit of salt on my chips. From here on in it’s truffle or bust. Though I guess I could have gone the whole hog and grated fresh truffle over the top too. Hmm… there’s a thought for next time I make these.
Depending on your perspective you might consider Parmesan Truffle Fries to be a bit old hat. I first had them at Gordon Ramsey’s Burger restaurant in Las Vegas and was instantly smitten. Both parmesan and truffle are deeply savoury flavours – together on chips they are magnificent. If you don’t know what people mean when they talk about the fifth component of taste – umami – then these two are a masterclass.
As I’ve said before, I’m not a fan of deep frying at home. As such my Parmesan Truffle Fries are oven-baked, not fried, and super easy to make. You just need to par-boil some chipped potatoes, drizzle over some olive oil then pop them into a hot oven for half an hour. After 20 minutes you add the truffle oil and parmesan and give them another 10 minutes until everything is golden brown. And crunchy. Oh, and absolutely delicious.
With food like this in my life I do have to wonder if there are any downsides to being extra. If there are I’m yet to find them!
Parmesan Truffle Fries
- 2 large Potatoes approx 350g
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 tsp Sea Salt
- 1 tbsp Truffle Oil
- 25 g Parmesan Cheese grated
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°Put a baking sheet into the oven to heat up
- Cut the potatoes into chunky chips, leaving the skin on. Rinse off any excess starch, then put into a large pan full of cold water.
- Bring to the boil, then cook for 1 minute before removing from the heat and draining well.
- Pour over the olive oil, then toss until well coated. Repeat with the sea salt.
- Spread the fries out over the hot baking sheet, then put into the oven for 20 minutes, turning once halfway through.
- After 20 minutes drizzle over the truffle oil, then turn the fries to coat them. Sprinkle over the grated parmesan and return to the oven for a further 10 minutes.
- When cooked and crisp remove from the oven and serve immediately.
|Estimated Values Per Serving|
|of which Saturates||4||g|
|of which Sugars||2||g|
Note: Nutritional Information is shown per serving of the recipe shown above. Any side dishes or garnishes shown in photos are not included unless they are specifically listed as part of the recipe.
The post Parmesan Truffle Fries appeared first on Scott's Food Rocks.