The slight change here is that I’ve used Sage to complement the other flavours, in place of the more usual parsley, basil or thyme. I thought I’d give it a go, as I really like the flavour but rarely use it with meats other than pork. Or in sage and onion stuffing. I don’t know why not but hey, we all have things we do without really understanding why.
I don’t know why I’ve not done this before, as the sage works really well with the lemon. It adds a deep earthy flavour that sits nicely alongside the light and fresh lemon. Almost like a base note in a perfume – you don’t know how important it is until it’s not there. That being said, whilst it works well it does come with a few words of caution.
Sage, much like basil, can have a very strong, almost pungent flavour. Use too much and its astringent, almost medicinal, flavour will dominate everything else and ruin the dish. This is why I chose to add a few crispy sage leaves to the top of the finished pasta dish. They’re there as a form of seasoning. Anyone who wants more sage flavour can crumble them across the other ingredients. Anyone who doesn’t can politely push them to one side. Either way they look pretty, so everybody wins!
Chicken, Lemon & Sage Pasta
- 250 g Chicken Breast cut into 1cm pieces
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- ¼ tsp Garlic Granules
- ¼ tsp Onion Powder
- ¼ tsp Sea Salt
- ¼ tsp Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 50 g Butter
- 100 g Chestnut Mushrooms sliced
- 1 Lemon juice and zest
- 12 Sage Leaves shredded
- 150 g Dried Pasta
- Grated Parmesan to serve
- Put the chicken pieces in a bowl the pour over the oil, before mixed until coated. Add the garlic granules, onion powder, salt and pepper then mix again, before allowing to rest for a few minutes.
- Heat a frying pan over a medium heat then add the chicken. Stir-fry for 10 minutes until browned on the outside and cooked through. Remove from the pan and put to one side.
- Add the butter to the pan, followed by the mushrooms. Sauté for 5-10 minutes until the mushrooms have softened.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pan of water to the boil and cook the pasta according to the pack instructions.
- Return the chicken to the pan with the mushrooms, followed by the lemon juice, lemon zest and shredded sage leaves. Mix well and keep warm.
- When cooked drain the pasta – reserving a couple of tablespoons of the starchy cooking water. Add this water to the chicken and mushroom mixture and stir to create an emulsion. Add the cooked pasta to the pan then toss to coat in the sauce.
- Serve immediately topped with some grated parmesan and freshly ground black pepper.
|Estimated Values Per Serving|
|of which Saturates||15||g|
|of which Sugars||2||g|
Note: Nutritional Information is shown per serving of the recipe shown above. Any side dishes or garnishes shown in photos are not included unless they are specifically listed as part of the recipe.
The post Chicken, Lemon & Sage Pasta appeared first on Scott's Food Rocks.