It’s amazing just how many memories can be evoked through food. As I’ve mentioned (a lot!) I’m really not a fan of this time of the year. The weeks between Christmas and early Spring always seem to drag on – not helped by the lack of daylight and warmth in the air. Here in the UK at least. As a result I often find myself cooking food that transports me to sunnier climes. This Roast Cod Loin with Chorizo Potatoes puts me immediately in mind of Spain or Portugal – a perfect respite from January in Bournemouth!
The chorizo flavour permeates everything here – bringing its warm spiciness to all of the components. The Cod fillets are brushed with the paprika-rich oil from the chorizo before being roasted in the oven. The colour contrast of the white flakes of fish and that vibrant orange oil is quite beautiful. The potatoes are par-boiled and then fried with the chorizo, along with some onions and red pepper. A handful of spinach being added at the end – for both flavour and colour.
This really is a bowl full of sunshine on even the murkiest of days.
Roast Cod Loin with Chorizo Potatoes
- 500 g New Potatoes cut into 2cm chunks
- 100 g Chorizo cubed
- 2 Cod Fillets approx 150g each
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Shallot peeled and sliced
- ½ Red Pepper deseeded and cut into strips
- 75 g Spinach washed and shredded
- Sea Salt Flakes
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- Handful Fresh Parsley chopped (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC.
- Put the potatoes in a large pan of lightly-salted water and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for a further 10 minutes until just tender. Drain and put to one side.
- Heat a large frying pan over a medium high heat and add the cubed chorizo. Fry for a few minutes until the chorizo has started to release its rich, flavoured oil.
- Place the cod fillets onto a lightly oiled baking sheet and brush the top with some of the chorizo oil. Bake in the oven for 10-12 minutes until cooked though. Keep an eye on the cod to make sure you don’t overcook it.
- Meanwhile, add the olive oil, shallot and pepper to the chorizo in the frying pan and cook for 5 minutes until starting to soften. Add the potatoes to the pan and cook for a further 5 minutes until starting to crisp on the edges.
- Add in the spinach and stir through the potatoes, allowing it to wilt in the heat. Add a pinch of salt and pepper, if needed.
- Divide the chorizo and potato mixture between two plates and top with the roasted cod fillets. Garnish with the parsley, if using.
The post Roast Cod Loin with Chorizo Potatoes appeared first on Scott's Food Rocks.