Chili potato is an Indo Chinese cuisine which is liked by all ages. This can be used as a starter or a side dish. To make healthier preparation we can roast or grill the potatoes, The recipe described here is more traditional spicy one though.
Preparation Time: - 10~12 min
Cooking Time: - 20~25 min
Servings: - 3~4 persons
- 250 gm. or 3 large Potato.
- 2 tbsp Corn Starch/ Corn Flour or Unbleached organic plain flour
- 4 chopped Garlic
- 1 medium Onion
- 1 small or ½ medium Capsicum
- 2 green chili slitted
- 1 tbsp. Soya sauce
- 1 ½ tsp Tomato Sauce
- ½ tsp Chili sauce
- ½ tsp Kashmiri Red Chili Powder
- ½ tsp Vinegar
- ½ tsp Black pepper
- 7 tbsp. Vegetable Oil ( I used Sunflower oil but you can use any vegetable oil )
- Salt as needed
- 2 tsp molten butter (optional)
- In a bowl mix half the corn flour with little water and salt to form a thick paste. It should coat the potatoes firmly.
- Chop onion, garlic and Crush the cardamom in pestle and mortar and keep aside.
- Wash and peel potatoes and cut into lengthwise thinly. Mix with the corn flour so that the potatoes get a firm coating.
- Heat 3 tbsp oil in a pan and once heated shallow fry the coated potatoes so they turn golden brown.
- Drain the excess oil in tissue paper and keep aside.
- In same tawa or frying pan, heat 4 tbsp oil
- Put the chopped garlic and sauté for a while.
- Now add chopped onion and mix. Fry till the onion becomes translucent and slightly brown
- Add capsicum and green chili - mix well.
- Simultaneously add the remaining corn flour to one cup of water – stir until no lumps remain. Add tomato sauce, vinegar, soya sauce and chili sauce to form a spicy sweet mixture
- Once capsicum is fried pour this mixture to the kadai /frying pan.
- Adjust salt level, add Kashmiri red chili powder. Continue cooking.
- When the mixture started boiling add the potato. Stir gently and mix well. Cook until the gravy becomes thick
- Sprinkle black pepper powder and add molten butter. Mix everything together.
- Turn the burner off. Your dish is ready to serve.
Serve hot as a starter or side dish to Noodles or flavored rice.
As always please feel free to comment, criticize and seek if any help is required. I am all ears.