Spanish omelette is the English name for a traditional dish from Spanish cuisine called tortilla española, tortilla de patatas or tortilla de papas. It is an omelette made with eggs and potatoes, sometimes also with onion and/or chives or garlic; fried in oil and often served cold as an appetizer or as a whole dish for breakfast. It is very nutrituous for the kids - a healthy, easy but yummy solution for kids. My family loves it in winter and here is the way I cook it. This may not be traditional method for making Spanish omlette – actually I modified it to suit Indian taste buds. Anyway, this is a yummy dish and here is the recipe.
Preparation Time: - 15 min
Cooking Time: - 30~35 min
Servings: - 4 persons
- 2 nos. Large Potatoes
- 1 medium Onion
- ½ medium Green Capsicum
- 1 Green Chilli ( you can use more if you are spice lover)
- A few chopped Coriander leaves (optional)
- 1 Cheese slice torn into small bits (optional)
- 3 tbsp Olive Oil ( or 4 tbsp Sunflower / canola oil)
- 6 nos. Eggs
- Salt to taste
- ½ tsp Whole Black Pepper Corns
- Boil the potatoes, peel them and cut into thin slices.
- Chop the onion and capsicum. Please keep the seeds of capsicum.
- Crush the black pepper corns with the help of mortar and pestle. You can use the ready-made pepper powder also but the taste would be better if you use pepper corns.
- Chop the green chilli and coriander leaves. I did not use coriander leaves but if you love coriander you may use this.
- Beat the eggs in a bowl.
- Add salt & ¼ tsp pepper and beat it again. You may use a hand blender to beat it smoothly and quickly.
- Add the coriander leaves if you want. I did not use this. Mix again and keep aside.
- Heat 2 ½ tbsp. Olive Oil or 3 tbsp Sunflower / Canola oil in a non-stick pan. Since Olive oil spreads more you may need less oil. In fact the original Spanish Omelette goes well with olive oil only. But you can use any vegetable oil.
- Add the onion first and then the potato pieces. Sauté for a minute or two.
- Add capsicum, green chilli, rest of the black pepper and bits of cheese slices (optional – I did not use this)
- Cook for 8~10 minutes till the potatoes and onion turn golden brown.
- Pour this in a bowl, drain the excess oil if any and keep aside.
- Mix the vegetables with the beaten eggs and stir to make a smooth batter.
- Heat ½ tbsp. olive oil or 1 tbsp vegetable oil in the previous non-stick pan and pour the batter.
- Fry for about 10 minutes over a moderate heat, making sure that you shake the pan frequently to prevent the omelette from sticking with the bottom of pan.
- When the bottom portion becomes firm and the top is not so jiggly loosen the bottom of the omelette using a flat spatula to release the edges. Turn the omelets over by placing a large plate over the frying pan and flipping over, then put back into the pan.
- Cover and cook the other side of the omlette for about 8~10 min.
- Alternatively Pre heat your Oven at 180 degree Celsius or 350 degree Fahrenheit for 10 minutes, put the pan inside the oven and bake for 10~12 min.
- Keep the omlette on the pan for 5 minutes to cool.
- Your yummy omlette is ready to be served.
Cut it into pieces and serve hot or cold as per your choice. You can add a smoothie along with this one for a wholesome breakfast experience. You can refer to my Breakfast smoothie with peanut butter and almond for Smoothie. Alternatively you can serve it cold with salads in lunch.
As always please feel free to comment, criticize and seek if any help is required. I am all ears.