In today’s residential and commercial buildings industry, there is an increasing desire to develop durable, long-lasting roofing systems that boast both high energy performance and low maintenance costs.
Below are four “true or false” facts that might surprise you:
- False: Foam roofs are too expensive.
Truth: Believe it or not, Spray Foam is actually one of the most reasonably priced roofing and insulation solutions available on the market today – especially when you consider the cost savings associated with choosing it. Once you incorporate the savings associated with a durable, long-lasting material, the extended life provided by elastomeric coatings, as well as energy cost savings, this solution proves to be an incredibly cost effective alternative.
- False: All spray foam roofs are the same.
Truth: Intech Equipment can attest that by using unqualified contractors, you risk poor application, which can result in defective systems. However, by selecting an experienced spray foam contractor, the results are dramatically different. Once high-quality design professionals specify quality materials, it is important to select the most qualified, experienced contractor in order to achieve maximum results.
- False: Insurance companies will not cover spray foam roofing systems.
Truth: Actually, these systems are fully insurable and have been tested extensively at independent laboratories worldwide. For a list of recommended insurers, speak with an Intech team member.
- False: These kind of roofs won’t last.
Truth: Recent studies show that SPF roofs are long-lasting, successful systems that can last far in excess of other roofing systems when applied and maintained properly. A properly installed and maintained polyurethane foam roof should be viewed as a long term sustainable roofing system that is time proven and highly successful alternative for your roofing and insulation needs.
Here are a few more selling points when it comes to spray foam roofing:
- A primary benefit is its ability to make a building more energy efficient. This reduces overall energy consumption, which also helps to conserve natural resources.
- Spray foam is widely-known for its ability to create a strong walkable substrate that envelopes the surface in one or more continuous layers. Because it is seamless and monolithic, you can eliminate the most common areas that allow for water intrusion.
- Spray foam can be applied quickly to a roof surface in a process that’s often faster than those using other materials. Since it can usually be applied directly over existing roofing surfaces, the need for a full tear-off maybe eliminated – further reducing the labor and time involved.
- Faulty flashing causes many roof leaks, but spray foam roofs can solve this issue. Because a spray foam roof conforms to the substrate when installed, this seamless monolithic system is ideal for flashing parapet walls, equipment, skylights and cooling towers.
- Spray foam roofs have the highest “R” value. What does this mean? Spray foam roofs have an aged “R” value of 6.2 – 6.5, enabling them to offer more thermal resistance with less material than any other type of roof insulation. In the majority of cases, a spray foam roof will pay for itself in five to eight years due to energy savings.
- They are easy to maintain. Minor repairs or modifications to a spray foam roof can be easily made by an experienced contractor at very little cost.
Roofing has changed a good deal in recent years. There are now a wide range of options available to homeowners focused on resale value, weather resistance, durability and sustainability.
Shop the Intech Equipment and Supply online store for a variety of roofing industry manufacturers offering everything under the sun for your various spray foam roofing jobs and needs. You can browse through items like roofing equipment, including hand tools, power tools and equipment, safety equipment, parts and more.