Have you heard about the most recent case of the Collier County teenager who tested positive for Zika? Are you worried about living in, or visiting a place, where Zika is a concern?
Since 2015, cases of Zika virus have been growing at an alarming rate in Latin America and the Caribbean, leaving many Florida residents to wonder…
Could we be next?
Florida now has over 400 documented Zika infections, but that Collier County news story is an example of how it’s hitting closer and closer to home.
Here are 5 things you need to know when it comes to the Zika virus and your family:
- Symptoms can be so mild that you may not even know that you have it. Only 1 in 4 people will develop any symptoms at all. If they do, it may include a mild fever, joint pain, a skin rash and red eyes.
- Zika is the only mosquito-borne virus known to transfer from pregnant women to their unborn child which may lead to microcephaly, causing babies to be born with undersized brains and heads.
- Zika virus can live in your blood stream for about a week, but it can stick around in other bodily fluids like saliva, urine, and semen, for much longer.
- The majority of Zika cases are contracted from mosquito bites. If a mosquito bites a person that’s carrying the Zika virus, it can pass it on to anyone it bites later – as many as 15 people in their one-month life span.
- The best way to protect yourself and your family from contracting Zika and other mosquito-borne illnesses is to avoid contact with mosquitoes.
I know that last one may seem a bit obvious, but living in Southwest Florida, that can be pretty tricky, especially during the summer months when Mosquito activity is at its peak!
Some GOOD News:
Larue Pest Management has been on the forefront of the war on mosquitoes in Southwest Florida for decades now.
While Lee and Collier Counties do a good job of controlling mosquito populations in general, many homeowners have found that it’s just not enough. That’s where Larue Pest Management comes in, providing two options for effective mosquito control on your property:
MistAway Mosquito Misting Systems:
- Permanent, customized system
- Runs automatically and with remote control
- Complete year-round protection
Larue’s Mosquito Abatement Program:
- Monthly control April thru October
- Stops mosquitoes from breeding
- Effective and affordable
Our team has taken the National Pest Management Association’s Zika training course and we’ve voluntarily signed up to be part of Florida’s Mosquito Task Force, should the government require help collecting data or extra man-power providing mosquito control in our area.
Interested in learning more? Download our latest FREE E-book…
“Southwest Florida Mosquitoes – A Survival Guide”
And as always, if you have questions or would like to learn more about our mosquito control services, please visit our website to Schedule your free evaluation or call (800) 314-8813 to speak with someone right now!
The post 5 Things You Need to Know About Zika in Southwest Florida appeared first on Pest Control Services for Life.