In the third quarter of 2018, it is noticed that the botnets were responsible for most of the DDoS attacks including new versions of Mirai and Gafgyt botnets. It has been seen exploiting of known vulnerabilities in SonicWall and Apache Struts in late August and early September.
The number of unique targets meanwhile increased by 63%, worldwide.
Top Geographical Targets
- According to the findings, the top 3 DDoS targeted countries were China, the United States & Australia
- The attacks were distributed across the days of the week and the most popular days were Saturday and Tuesday of the week
- For the first time, Australia held the third position under the top three most targeted countries
- The most targeted victims in Australia were hosting services and cloud computing platforms
- China and the U.S. remained first and second respectively, while Hong Kong dropped down to fourth
Distribution of Ddos Attacks By Type in Q3, 2018
- In the third quarter of 2018, it is observed that SYN Flood attacks held the topmost position with 83.20% followed by UDP attacks with 11.90% and HTTP attacks with 3.20%
- It is noticed that the share of SYN flood attacks has grown to 83.2% from 80% in Q2 and 57% in Q1 2018
- Other types of attacks: HTTP is at the third position, TCP is at the fourth position and ICMP is at the fifth position respectively.
Previous Report Links:
Q2 2018: DDoS Attack Trends Report
Q1 2018: Statistical Report on DDoS Attacks
The post DDoS Attack Trends and Insights in Q3, 2018 appeared first on haltDos Blog - WAF | DDoS Mitigation | Load Balancing.
This post first appeared on HaltDos Blog - A Comprehensive WAF And DDoS Protection For Websites, please read the originial post: here