What foods are beneficial to the hair?
Throughout the year it is observed how sometimes the Hair is dull, begins to fall suddenly or has a rough and dry appearance. But, what are these changes due to? The bad state of the hair can originate due to hormonal or genetic factors, the bad habits of capillary hygiene, the use of dyes and discolorations that spoil it, stress , the use of some medications that influence the health of the scalp or a insufficient food While some of these reasons have little room for action at the health and personal level, food is a factor that depends on each one and that, therefore, can be modified to achieve a healthy hair .
The hair is made up of the protein of keratin and other minerals such as magnesium, silicon or copper, so to get a strong and healthy hair is essential to maintain a healthy and balanced diet containing these nutrients .
What nutrients are beneficial?
The nutrients necessary to promote and support hair health are mainly proteins, essential amino acids , collagen , minerals and vitamins , says Gloria Montané, pharmacist at the Montané Pharmacy , in Sabadell (Barcelona). Among the vitamins you must consume the most important for healthy hair are especially those of group B, in the most significant these is biotin (B8), along with vitamin C . The presence of iron , copper , zinc and omega 3 is also necessary , adds Teresa Bonnin, co-proprietor of the Bonnin Pharmacy , in Palma de Mallorca.
Therefore, what foods should be consumed?
The experts establish in what foods you can find the different essential nutrients to wear a good hair:
- Vitamin A : can be found in eggs, liver, vegetables,fortified milk and fish oil, sunflower and olive oil . “The function of vitamin A is to avoid blocking the drying of the sebaceous glands, which are of fundamental importance to lubricate the hair follicle and therefore, the prevention and reduction of hair loss,” explains Bonnin.
- Vitamin B: foods that have a high content of vitamin B are fish, beef and pork, chicken, soy , eggs, legumes, nuts and whole grains. The latter “are very important in the resistance of insulin, a hormone also related to male baldness. In addition, it is a source of folic acid , which helps oxygenate the blood of hair follicles, “says Bonnin.
- Also of note in this group is the brewer’s yeast , which is the natural nutrient that provides more B vitamins, along with a considerable amount of essential amino acids and other minerals, such as phosphorus.
- Vitamin C: in this group include lemon, orange, kiwi, spinach and broccoli . These foods are involved in the synthesis of collagen , the collective tissue that makes up the hair and helps in the absorption of iron, as Bonnin indicates.
- The iron necessary for hair to grow strong and healthy can be found in red meat, spinach and vegetables. “This mineral is essential for the oxygenation of the scalp and the pigmentation of the hair.” On the other hand, copper, present in seafood, spinach and nuts, is an important component for the synthesis of hair melanin .
- Zinc is essential for hair growth and is found in meats and fish, in asparagus, aubergines, potatoes, celery and figs. For its part, sulfur, present in white meat and meats such as liver, almonds, eggs, fruits and vegetables , is essential to strengthen weak and brittle hair .
- The folic acid is obtained through cereals, nuts, whole grains, orange juice and wheat. The omega 3, present in olive oil, along with chocolate, sage and basil play an antioxidant role due to the presence of polyphenols. The magnesium, essential for the health of the hair and present in the almonds, activates the important enzymatic reactions for the health of the same .
These foods should be consumed within a balanced diet. In this way, “the hair is strengthened through blood circulation, which nourishes the hair bulb, area in which the hair is fed”, explains Montané. Therefore, it is important that the blood that reaches the base of the hair contains the nutrients it needs to grow healthy and strong. However, at the topical level there are pharmacy preparations, usually lotions and shampoos, which correctly transport the nutrients to their destination, the scalp, and which help to strengthen and stimulate their growth.
Bonnin says that it is best to combine all these elements in an adequate amount each time you eat . He also recommends consuming many vegetables and one or two fruits a day. And it emphasizes the interference of olive oil due to its antioxidant action.
The importance of liquids for hair health
Liquids are also an important aspect in balanced diets. ” Water consumption helps in hair problems, by keeping the hair hydrated and strong, ” says Bonnin. It is not necessary to consume special waters, the ideal is to ingest one or two liters of water per day. “However, it does not depend only on water or food or hygiene; to have a healthy and beautiful hair we must act on all fronts at once to achieve our goal, “says Montané.
Foods that should be avoided
On the other hand, there are foods that have to be avoided to avoid damaging the hair. Among them are: very refined foods with excess saturated fats , fried foods, products with hydrogenated fats or refined oils . All of them are related to the increase of testosterone levels , which can potentiate the increase of dihydrotestosterone (DHT) levels. “This means that the hair follicles shrink and grow increasingly thin and weak,” explains Bonnin.
It is also advisable to avoid carbohydrates of high glycemic index , that is to say, the fast sugars, since an excessive consumption of them creates cellular inflammation, which is harmful for the capillary health. Also, try not to carry out a restrictive diet that induces malnutrition and vegan diets with deficiencies of vitamin B12 and iron. Likewise, you should not consume carbonated or caffeinated beverages, as well as excess chocolate .
The post What foods are beneficial to the hair? appeared first on HealthBodha.com.