Routine vehicle maintenance is important to remaining safe on the road, but all too often we forget the basics and ignore the obvious. Florida Fine Cars would like to offer up a few reminders to keep you and your vehicle running right:
- Replace Your Car Battery: If your vehicle battery is three years old, replace it. Car batteries generally don’t last much longer and you’re likely to get stuck somewhere along the road. Services like AAA will come to you to switch out the battery, and many car parts stores will install it for you after your purchase.
- Don’t Run Your Gas Tank Down Too Low: Running your vehicle fuel lower than a quarter of a tank can harm the fuel pump. Gasoline acts like a coolant for the electric fuel-pump motor, so when you run the fuel down very low, this allows the pump to suck in air, which creates heat and can cause the fuel pump to wear prematurely and potentially fail, according to Consumer Reports.
- Never ignore the oil level light: Engine oil provides lubrication for your vehicle’s engine as well as cooling and cleaning. Ignoring the Oil Level Light can lead to serious problems. As your vehicle has less oil, the remaining oil heats up faster and wears faster, making it less effective. As your engine heats up, the pistons can weld themselves to the piston walls and your car engine can seize up. Less engine oil also means more friction on the engine rods, increasing the risk of a thrown rod.
- Never top off your gas tank at the gas station: Once the pump stops, don’t try to add more gas. The extra gas goes into the vehicle’s vapor recovery system, which you could eventually have to replace. It will also cause worse fuel economy.
- Never rev your engine and drive your car hard when the engine is cold. Oil that is cold is thicker and will cause more of a struggle running through your vehicle’s engine components. A lack of proper warm up can damage or ruin the vehicle’s engine.
- Don’t drive on a flat tire: Driving on a flat tire can cause extensive damage to your vehicle’s wheel that will be expensive to repair. Pull over and wait for a tow, or stop the vehicle and change the tire yourself. Either choice will prevent damage to the vehicle’s wheel itself.
- Don’t ignore warning lights on your vehicle. The come on for a reason! Lights that indicate “check oil level,” “airbag malfunction” or “check engine light” often signal issues that can be easily addressed but if ignored can lead to pricey repairs.
Florida Fine Cars Makes Used Car Shopping Easy
Florida Fine Cars offers more than 1,700 quality used cars priced thousands below retail at its four locations combined. Florida Fine Cars dealerships are conveniently located in West Palm Beach just north of Palm Beach International Airport, and in Margate, Hollywood and Miami.
Used car shopping has never been so easy. Stop by Florida Fine Cars today and check out our huge selection of quality used cars at tiny prices!
#changeyouroil #warning lights #floridafinecars