Demand generation is a critical part of the sales process. It is the first step in the sales cycle, so a shortage of qualified prospects will affect the entire process and negatively impact revenue. Creating demand within the target audience is so important because both quality and quantity of the leads are critical factors. How can a company ensure a steady supply of quality leads?
Here are five demand generation strategies that will help:
Email Marketing is an essential part of a business’s marketing campaigns. Research repeatedly shows that an email marketing campaign always has a better return-on-investment (ROI) than any other method of digital marketing. According to CampaignMonitor.com, email is the channel that generates the highest ROI for marketers; for every $1 spent, email marketing returns $38.
Email lead generation works particularly well because it is a close connection with the potential client. By giving you their email address, the prospects have stated that they want a closer relationship than just reading your online content. Regular updates and useful content sent to the list subscribers builds trust and ultimately moves them to further stages in the sales funnel. Also, email messages are the primary form of lead nurturing; once the email address of a potential client is acquired, the company can begin a “drip” campaign of reaching out to the prospect regularly with a set of emails that follow up and encourage conversion.
Since we know that email marketing works so well, here are a few techniques that will create a better response from emails sent to your subscriber list.
- Attention grabbing subject line. A unique subject line will stand out from the rest of the marketing emails in the inbox and is also less likely to get filtered by spam filters.
- Great, educational content. Do not just send a sales pitch; give the reader valuable content that they will find helpful. Enrich the content by adding additional value such as an invitation to a free webinar, a free ebook or a link to another great blog post.
- Customer segmentation. Segmented emails are 13.1% more likely to be opened than those that are not segmented. There are several methods of segmenting including by demographics, age range and device.
- Resend unopened emails. A study by email marketing expert Noah Kagan found that re-sending the unopened email exactly as before increased its opening by 54.4%.
Search Engine Optimization
Search engine optimization (SEO) is one of the most valuable long-term strategies for generating B2B leads. Careful strategic optimization of the website and all content can result in being ranked higher in the search engine results pages and thereby bring more natural search leads to your website. However, being listed on the first page of Google’s results is a lot more difficult today than it was just a few years ago. According to an August 2015 study on the future of SEO by Moz.com, the most important factor for SEO impact is mobile-friendliness. The study said mobile-friendliness would increase in impact by 88%, analysis of a page’s perceived value (up 81%). Additional factors providing increased impact include: usage data such as dwell time on the page (up 67%) and readability and design (up 67%).
Having a mobile-friendly website (called “mobile responsive”) is one of the key elements of effective SEO lead generation. In April 2016, Google implemented a “mobile first index” in which their ranking software ranked websites that were mobile friendly higher than those that were not. Not having a mobile-friendly website can cause a website to be ranked very low or delisted on Google. Also, optimizing the website for voice searches can help get it ranked higher in the search engine results. When people search with their voice, they speak in complete sentences. Therefore, complete sentences should be optimized on the website.
Social Media Marketing
Social media marketing is an essential element of your Demand Generation Strategies. Social media reaches many prospects within your targeted audiences and has been proven effective in connecting with both clients and prospects. Due to its interactive nature, however, it comes with a need for more careful implementation to ensure best results while maintaining the corporate image. Key elements that provide great results from your social media marketing include:
- Go where your customers are. Social media has an extensive selection of websites and applications available. The majority of them, however, are not suited for your business. Before you choose a social media channel, make sure your customers are actively using the site and find ways to target them specifically.
- Have a consistent image for your business. The wording of posts, type and quality of photographs and the methods for responding to hostile posts should be discussed and approved before using any social media.
- Build relationships with influencers. Seek out the people who carry influence in the social media platform and build a solid relationship with them.
Effective content marketing attracts prospects by consistently providing relevant and valuable content. It is an ongoing process of delivering insightful, meaningful information about how your company can solve your customers’ challenges. Because the content focusses on solving the prospects’ problems, they are more likely to prefer your company when it is time to make a purchase decision.
For your content marketing to have the highest impact, it must add value. Content that can help accomplish your goals can include original research reports, a video or podcast interview with a customer or industry expert, blog posts or printed market briefs.
Inbound marketing is an integration of all of the above plus more. Inbound marketing draws prospects to a company’s products and services through providing content where and when the prospects want it and then nurturing them through the sales process to the close.
Studies have shown that consumers complete up to 70% of their research online before they contact a company for more information about the product or service. You want to be a part of that considered set of companies they research, right?
Inbound marketing helps you put your information in front of prospects during the critical research phase. Inbound provides educational information for the buyer to study and learn from which builds credibility and trust in your company’s brand and products. When the prospect connects with your company, they can be added to the prospect-nurturing process and moved through the sales funnel to conversion.
Inbound marketing is one of the most effective marketing methods for doing business online. By aligning the content you publish with your prospects’ interests, needs and challenges, you naturally attract inbound traffic that you can then convert, close and follow up with over time.
Demand generation can be accomplished through carefully planned and executed marketing campaigns. By using one or a combination of these five methods, a company can ensure a steady stream of qualified prospects coming to the website.
KEO Marketing can help you put together demand generation strategies that can help you build a solid customer base quickly. Start by asking for a free marketing review. Contact KEO Marketing or call us at 888-702-0679.