Amazing Easy Southern Fried Okra
My family has over 28 people and when we get together we eat and eat a lot of good southern food. When my mom was living she would have a huge southern spread. One of the dishes that she had to make sure she had was her amazing fried okra. It is almost like popcorn. You can’t just eat one. Our family never had any leftovers.
This recipe is Amazing, Easy and fried. Three things that make all food great. Or at least in the southern world.
Let me share the recipe with you.
Amazing Easy Southern Okra Recipe
16 oz of fresh or frozen okra. ( not frozen breaded)
1 cup of whole milk
2 cups of all-purpose flour
1 large egg
Salt and Pepper to taste
- Cut up your okra into 1/2 inch or smaller circles. If you are using the frozen okra you will not need to cut it up, just unthaw and drain on a paper towel.
- Mix the one cup of whole milk and the egg into a bowl.
- Place the okra in the milk mixture to soak for 30 minutes
- While the okra is soaking, get your frying pan with 1.2 in of oil heated to medium heat. Put the flour in a bowl then Salt and Pepper the flour.
- With a slotted spoon, take the okra and put into the flour. Coat evenly.
- Place the okra into the heated oil. Fry until golden brown. Use a slotted spatula to where the grease will not hold in the spoon.
- You can also oven fry the okra if you would like. You just need to heat the oven to 400 degrees and place the okra single layer on a greased pan. Cook until crispy.
- Place the okra on a paper towel lined plate to drain.
Hope you enjoy this southern favorite. Our family freezes okra each summer to make sure we have enough to last through Christmas and Easter. Enjoy our family recipe.
The post Amazing Easy Southern Fried Okra appeared first on Musings of a Homemaker.