Aloha Friday! I can’t tell you how productive I have been this week or that I was so good at working out or training to run a 5k, becauase, well I’ve done neither. I know I mentioned earlier this week I’ve been sick and yes, I’m still struggling to feel normal. I am however going to share with you my Shoyu Chicken Recipe I promised earlier this week. Even, though I had to use a stock photo from the internet for now, since my brain doesn’t function when I don’t feel well and of course I forgot to take the after photo….lol
I did however take a picture of the Aloha Shoyu which is by far my favorite shoyu. You ask what is shoyu? I’ll tell you its what we call Soy Sauce in Hawaii. There are other brands you can get a a really popular and my second favorite is Kikkoman but, nothing compares to the good old Aloha Shoyu! I know you can get it just about anywhere because, I can buy it here in Canada.
One, of the memories I have the most about Shoyu Chicken is for my sister Stephanie’s birthday. Growing up on our birthday we were allowed to chose whatever we wanted for supper and my mom would make our choice. Well, you guessed it Steph’s favorite was Shoyu Chicken. You can get Shoyu Chicken at many plate lunch places in Hawaii but, it is one of the simplest dishes to make at home. It doesn’t take many ingredients and only takes about5-10 mins to prep then 1-2 hours of simmer time.
I don’t know why buy I was taught by my old mother in law to always pre boil the meat before making anything with soup. There is this scummy stuff that comes off the meat. So, before I start I place the chicken in a pot cover it with water and bring to a boil. Once the scum has rose to the top, I dump the chicken in a colander and rinse well before returning to the pot. I have no idea what the stuff is or if it even matters but, that was what I was taught so that’s what I do.
While the chicken is pre-boiling I prep all the things I need for this recipe. It is simple ingredients, garlic, ginger, shoyu, sugar, and pepper.
Yep, that is all the pictures I took because, well my brain just doesn’t function sometimes. LOL Here is the complete recipe…
- 8 pounds of chicken thighs
- 2 inches of fresh ginger
- 1 bulb of garlic
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 cup shoyu (or soy sauce of choice)
- 3 Bay leaves
- ground pepper to taste
- Water for simmering 2-4 cups
- This recipe is very basic and I never follow a recipe so did my best to help you by adding measurements.
- First pre boil chicken just until scum floats to surface, then drain and rinse chicken.
- Return chicken to the pot, Add all ingredients then add water just to cover chicken.
- Bring to a boil and then simmer 1-2 hours until chicken is soft and falling of the bones.
- Our favorite way to eat is over a bed of rice.
- Remove chicken from the liquid, if you want some shoyu chicken sauce, bring liquid back to a boil, mix 4 tablespoon cornstarch with 4 tablespoons water and slowly pour into liquid to thicken. This makes a yummy teriyaki flavored sauce you can use over chicken or rice.
I will close this weeks post with a photo of Noah’s floor hockey team. They had a game this week against The Town of Lashburn and won the game score was 7-8. Noah is the to the right, directly behind the kid with the red toque.