It can get chilly here in Florida. Last week it dipped into the 30’s and 40’s. Though it does not get as cold as Michigan (where I was born and raised), there are days I want to curl up with a Disney movie and a bowl of chili. My husband makes this awesome Sweet Skillet Cornbread to go along with my three bean chili. I wanted to share that recipe with you all because it is the best cornbread I have ever had. I am not of fan or Jiffy mix and I am not a fan of the cornbread that sucks all the moisture out of your body because it is dry.
This cornbread is so moist and probably a little more sweet than needed, but I love it!
Sweet Skillet Cornbread
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 Tbs. baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 cup whole milk
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- 1 large egg
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Preheat a seasoned cast iron skillet that has been wiped down with some Crisco.
- Whisk together in a small bowl the milk, vegetable oil, and egg. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl combine the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Add the wet ingredients to dry and stir.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Make sure the cast iron is hot. When you add the mixture, it should sizzle. It creates an amazing crust and prevents the bread from sticking to the pan.
- As soon as the bread comes out brush the top with some butter.
The post Sweet Skillet Cornbread appeared first on Pixie Dust Savings.