Discover Burien has extended the deadline for its 2018 “Making Burien Awesome” Scholarship program, with a new deadline of June 1, 2018.
“Investing in the future of our community is all part of our commitment at Discover Burien,” Organizers said.
Financial need, academic performance, leadership potential, and participation in Discover Burien programs including volunteering will all be considered when awarding scholarship funds.
Applicants will need to fill out a Scholarship Application, and all supporting documents by June 1st, 2018.
Candidates will be selected for interviews and notified by the Scholarship Committee by July 1, 2018.
For a copy of the application or questions regarding the “Making Burien Awesome” scholarship, any of the organizations programs or work plan objectives, please email Anne Thompson at [email protected] or call the office at (206) 433-2882.
Here’s more from the application (download .doc file here):
“Making Burien Awesome”
Scholarship Application 2017/2018
- DEADLINE for scholarship applications has been extended to June 1, 2018.
- Refer to application process on back for a list of the supporting documents needed (i.e., reference letters, etc.) Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- If any question does not apply to you in this application please put N/A in the space.
- Type or print legibly. Illegible applications will not be accepted.
- You will be notified by phone or mail on or before February 16, 2018 regarding the status of your application.
- If you have any questions about the application, please contact Anne Thompson, Community Outreach, Discover Burien. (206) 433-2882 or by email at [email protected]
PURPOSE The Discover Burien Scholarship Fund was established in 2015. The mission of the scholarship is to provide financial assistance to individuals enrolled for undergraduate study in community colleges, colleges, trade schools and universities. The Discover Burien Scholarship principally targets two and four year academic programs; however, certificate/licensing programs including but not limited to fields such as paralegal training, IT, ultrasound techs, trades, medical records personnel and nursing are also eligible.
FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE is based on financial need, academic performance, leadership potential, and participation in Discover Burien programs including but not limited to volunteer services.
SCHOLARSHIP AWARDS Discover Burien awards scholarships on the basis of a comprehensive process. Areas that are reviewed by the committee include, but are not limited to the following: Academic Accomplishments, Community Service, References, Personal Narrative and Financial Need. Discover Burien pays scholarship funds directly to the recipient’s school. Scholarships are awarded at the beginning of the first semester or quarter. Discover Burien Scholarships are awarded without regard to race, color, ethnicity, gender or sexual orientation. Scholarships awarded are based upon the availability of funds and additional qualifying criteria.
- Applicants must complete and submit a Scholarship Application by June 1st, 2018.
- Applicants must establish proof of residence status within the city limits in Burien, WA.
- If scholarship money is awarded recipient must notify Discover Burien by September 30, 2018 where the funds will be distributed. Only the program will receive the funds on behalf of the applicant.
- Applicants must demonstrate a need for financial assistance.
- Preference may be given to applicants who have participated in Discover Burien programs.
- Applicants must be a citizen or legal permanent resident of the United States.
- Applications are due June 1st 2018.
- Candidates that are selected for interviews will be notified by the Scholarship Committee by July 1st, 2018.
- Applicants are notified if awarded a scholarship on or before August 1, 2018.
SCHOLARSHIP APPLICANTS MUST PROVIDE:
- Completed application form.
- Official high school transcript in a sealed envelope from the institution.
- Two academic references from a guidance counselor or teacher.
- A letter of reference from an employer or other community member.
- Demonstrated financial need.
- Award notification will be given on or before February 16, 2018.
- Applicant must provide their student ID number, the correct mailing address of their institution and the department where their scholarship check is to be received before funds are distributed.
- Award amounts will be distributed after a student’s final high school transcripts and college acceptance letters are received by Discover Burien.
Please mail OR submit application in person to:
“Making Burien Awesome”
Attn: Anne Thompson
427 SW 152nd St
Burien, WA 98166