Education plays a very important role in making the world better place to live in a most civilized way. A country is said to be developed only if it has a very good education system. A good education system works towards creating gender equality in all the fields that also comes with respect. Even though gender equality is been respected and nurtured in all parts of the world, there are still thousands of doubts raised about having a co-education in schools, colleges etc. In this post you will find the reasons for a having a co-education system, their advantages and disadvantages.
What is Co-Education?
Co-education is a system where both the Genders (male and female) participate in a same learning centre or an educational institution. In this process, both the genders would benefit equally in learning or attaining knowledge from the institution and each other. This method of education even though is becoming common all over the world, there are still few parts of the country who feel sometimes segregation is for the betterment of the learning process. However, there are same amount of group who feels, segregation of the genders causes trouble to the learning process and makes it more complicated.
Advantages of Co-Education System:
A good education system is said to be progressive only if it respects both the genders and giving the same education under a single roof. Co-education institutions help in laying the foundation for both the genders to learn how to co-exist with respect and dignity. Here are the few points which supports co-education system.
1. Develops mutual respect: Co-education allows both the genders to mingle with each other and to know how to co-exist with respect. By this process of getting mingled under one learning institution, they develop mutual understanding towards each other. And there is no place of hesitation or partiality among the genders when it comes to performing activities like cultural, academics or sports. People get to know how to respect each other and their emotional level. You get to know each others strengths and weaknesses and develop the ability to accept them as they are.
2. Helps to overcome the fear of opposite gender: In general there are lot of differences in behaviour of both the genders which brings in fear and hesitance in striking a conversation, this fear can be for a boy or a girl. This kind of shyness, hesitation or fear can be overcome when they are put up in a co-education system where they will be compelled to talk and create a friendly environment where there is no fear. It is very natural phenomenon where both the genders have to be together to face the world, your senior could be a male or a female and you would have to create a friendly environment and are at ease with the opposite sex. Hence, co-education would help them to know the opposite sex better creating a comfort zone where the communication is easier.
3. Healthy competition: Competition is always an essential part in any kind of challenges in life be it personal or professional. And especially in education it is good to have a healthy competition among the peers which lets you learn how to cope with your failures early in life no matter who the winner is. When it comes to opposite genders it would be more competitive because of your ego, and this is one good way to improve the personal standards so that you don’t get personal on every failure and are able to face it with dignity. So, co-education systems nurtures challenges among the opposite genders in a healthy way that helps you to maintain your dignity and also educates you to face your failures and learn from them rather than turn them into revengeful act.
4. Develops self-esteem among the genders: Self-esteem is very essential and has to be built in good way and the best place to start with it is the learning institutions where you can face all types of personality early in your life. Co-education learning centres help to lay the early foundation for maintaining dignity and self-esteem. Many institutions give extra attention to students who feel that they are less worthy than the others and offer counselling sessions that help in building up their personality and making them stronger to face the world. Co-education helps both the genders to respect each other’s self-esteem and build a confidence about their own self helping them to step out in the open without feeling intimidated.
5. Encourages the survival in future: Survival in future for any of the gender in today’s world can happen only when we learn to co-exist. From working together to making a marriage successful is all about team work and the effort given by both male and female. Team building activities in early stages help both the genders to learn how to co-exist and this can only be provided in the co-educational system. By this way, co-education is an essential part in education system which pushes the genders to work together and blend with each other to survive in this brutal world.
6. Character enhancement: A recent study reveals that children tend to behave very decently in a civilised manner in the presence of other gender provided they have been in this scenario for long. This is very essential in an institution setup as well as it will have a huge impact in their personal front for the people of opposite sex to behave well with each other. Hence, co-education plays an important role in character building. They emphasize on the fact that they have to respect and listen to the opposite sex as they listen and respect one from their own.
7. No space for discrimination: Quarrel among the peers is very common be it at home, workplace or educational institutions. This may happen due to no proper understanding, misconceptions, miss-communications, uncomfortable, no respect for other sex and ignorance. We hear a lot of news that comes on the internet, newspapers and television about how the genders are abusing each other at workplace or at home and this can only be improved when there is a good understanding between the two. This is very much reduced in a co-education system as they understand better each other and hence, reducing the bad behaviour and harsh reactions from each other. So, co-education system reduces any kind of discrimination and increases respect towards the opposite sex.
8. Resource handling: Be it any country there will be a shortage of lecturers for knowledge if there are separate institutions or centres right from school to college as there would be huge demand for teachers which might not be possible to fill in. And it also breeds monetary loss to the government or a private institution when they invest huge amount for separate lecturers teaching the same thing to students across institutions. Hence, co-education system has an advantage of proper resource handling.
9. Promotes a controlled environment: When both the genders are put up in same environment, there are more possibilities of following good ethics, disciplined use of language, and proper dressing etc. You would know what the needs are of the opposite sex and how they behave helping you to avoid unfavourable situations. Co-education supports good decent environment with more value based education emphasising on respect and love for each other.
Disadvantages of a Co-Education system:
Every establishment has pros as well as cons and hence we need to look at every angle before we decide in which direction we have to go. Even though there are many advantages of having a co-education system, our society still puts forward few inhibitions which do not accept the concept. Here are few disadvantages which is commonly expressed about co-education system. They are,
1. Chances of distractions could be more: Teenage is a very dangerous phase in anybody’s life. It is very common among the teens to undergo psychological changes when they are in company of the other gender and feel attracted towards them. And especially at crucial stage where they are in a process of defining their career path, it could cause lot of distractions and might disturb their knowledge gain period. Hence, parents often wonder if co-education institutions would be right choice for your kin to learn and whether they should avoid co-education system.
2. Unethical activities: Crimes have become common when both the genders are put up in the same education environment. There might be lot characteristic changes among boys and girls. When they mismatch, some ferocious kids tend to commit various harassments, physical toughness, and emotional stress to people around. The weaker lot can suffer at the hands of the opposite sex pushing them into depression and other psychological problems. Hence, people hesitate to support co-education system to ensure that their kids are in a safe environment and this is especially for the girls.
3. More involvement in personal feelings: As the saying goes, opposite things attract each other, it applies to the humanly world also. Attractions among the opposite genders are the most commonly used excuse to avoid co-education system. It is natural to get physically attracted to the other gender at a crucial age of life where curiosity takes over your heart. So, parents feel co-education is a risky task to take forward as they can have an easy access to distractions within the institutions. An emotional involvement at an early stage can come with lot baggage that can force a child to deviate from their goals.
4. Unwanted arguments and issues can create unhealthy environment: Both the genders come from different school of thought and hence contradiction of thoughts is common among boys and girls. If the arguments are not handled in a proper behaviour then it can sometimes might lead to unwanted arguments and might divert from their studies. It can lead to lot of complaints and parents making the rounds at the school for the improper behaviour from their kin. This will also make the teachers get troubled a lot because of their behaviour and an irritated teacher can never give their 100% towards teaching. This is what worries any parent when they come to know that the issues in the school are costing his or her kin’s studies and hence pushing them to select a convent rather than co-educational institutions.
5. Reduces the options for schools or colleges for the genders: With schools and colleges dedicated towards a single gender, creates a lot of shortage for the opposite genders to apply. If the demand for teachers increases then the demand for institutions based on gender also increases. Establishing an institution is an expensive affair which may not be a feasible option to implement all over the world. There can be a scenario where you have more supply of students but less number of institutions to work with it. Dedicated institutions can also lead to lot of discomfort in handling the other gender when it comes to working in a professional world creating issues in your career path and growth.
There are both advantages as well as disadvantages for any kind of education system including co-education system. The real good social environment will nurture positives of the society and help in dealing with the negatives in a dignified manner. There is no educational system in the world that has eradicated the negatives of the society but a co-educational system can definitely work towards mending the gap between the genders and building a bridge of friendship. In this promising era of empowerment it is very essential to have a co-education system to fit the survival of environment where both the genders have their place and say. It is now important to incorporate early in life to respect and love the opposite gender to help build a beautiful world of peace.
The post 14 Advantages and Disadvantages of Co-Education System appeared first on WiseStep.
This post first appeared on WiseStep - Wise Ideas On Careers, Employment, Recr, please read the originial post: here