Searching for the right opportunity often means you are doing several things at the same time. Jidaw believes you get results when you put efficiency into the Job Search. It is important to be organized and professional.
- Ensure the right balance. In taking advantage and preparing you should identify priorities and critical issues. As a Network engineer you have done a good job of identifying networking opportunities that match your needs. But Jidaw asks: does it end there?
- Beyond your technical qualifications are you prepared for other requirements of the opportunity? What have you done about the Requirement for “a letter of recommendation” from your educational institution? You have sent your CV before the deadline but was it wise to send it in the wrong format?
- It doesn't make sense to focus only on one key aspect of the hunt while neglecting other important areas. You see, very often opportunity search requirements do not just appraise your technical competence. They are also used to assess your ability to follow instructions and cooperate with others. It can serve as a measure of professionalism.
- Attending meetings and interviews won't amount to much if your resume and other related materials are flooded with spelling and grammatical errors. Your approach therefore needs to be professional and coordinated.
- For example, how well packaged is the information you’re using to prospect and position yourself for opportunity? It’s about hard (substance) and soft (presentation). You have SCJP, MCSD and quality experience to back up the tech certifications – so you are solid.
- But in the drive for opportunity, solid expertise is not enough? How do you present yourself in interview situations? Do you communicate well – written, verbal and body language? And the question really is: what is the message you send if your documentation is untidy, rough and cluttered? What is the message you send if you forget to include important dates with your achievements? And it could the other way too – your presentation is solid but substance is lacking. Be organized and professional
Agree with these suggestions? Which tips have worked for you in making your job search more efficient? Share your comments and ideas.
Innovation and Development Advisor, ICT
ICT Development Advisory Support and Consulting Nigeria
"Technology matters, but it is always about people".