The Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees was established on December 14, 1950 by the United Nations General Assembly. The agency is mandated to lead and co-ordinate international action to protect refugees and resolve refugee problems worldwide. Its primary purpose is to safeguard the rights and well-being of refugees.
It strives to ensure that everyone can exercise the right to seek asylum and find safe refuge in another State, with the option to return home voluntarily, integrate locally or to resettle in a third country.
Job Title: Senior Liaison Assistant, G-5
- The United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) Nigeria wishes to engage the services of a Senior Liaison Assistant (ECOWAS) in its Abuja Office on a Fixed-Term Appointment basis.
- Under the supervision of the Senior Liaison Officer (SLO), the Senior Liaison Assistant (ECOWAS) will provide continuous direction, guidance and advice on work planning and prioritization.
- S/he will form an integral part of the UNHCR Abuja team and will both learn from colleagues and contribute to their work by carrying out the following tasks:
- Support the planning and implementation of activities aimed at strengthening UNHCR’s partnerships and collaboration with other relevant African sub/regional institutions (notably, African Union, other Regional Economic Communities, civil society organizations and consortia and academic institutions).
- Assist in the establishment of close working relations with officials in ECOWAS and other UNHCR Partners.
- Inform the Senior Liaison Officer, on a continuing basis of relevant information on the outcome of discussions with ECOWAS on various issues.
- Accompany the Senior Liaison Officer and Headquarters visitors on ECOWAS and UNHCR Partner meetings.
- Assist the Senior Liaison Officer in preparation for different visits and missions to the operation.
- Assist in maintaining close relations with UNHCR Regional offices in Dakar and ensuring the effective sharing of information on UNHCR’s operations in the region, as well as developments within ECOWAS and matters related to UNHCR’s collaboration with ECOWAS on specific recommendations and action plans.
- Follow up on various issues, liaising within the office and with external counterparts, as necessary, to provide the background information and analysis required for decision making.
- Scan various sources of information, such as web-based media, newspapers, journals, bulletins on political and other developments bearing upon UNHCR’s activities in Nigeria and the ECOWAS sub-region, keeping the Senior Liaison Officer, and other staff briefed on their implications.
- Support UNHCR's networking activities with relevant stakeholders such as ECOWAS and other UNHCR Partners and sister agencies by arranging appointments, preparing missions and providing targeted background information.
- Plan and prepare meetings with ECOWAS Institutions.
- Assist to draft policy papers and reports on UNHCR-ECOWAS partnership
- Perform other duties as required.
- Completion of the Secondary education with Post-secondary training/certificate in a related field
- Minimum 5 years previous job experience relevant to the function
- Excellent writing/drafting skills.
- Fluency in English and working knowledge of another relevant UN language Good communication skills (written and oral).
- Knowledge of French language as it is one of the official ECOWAS language.
- Sound knowledge of main protection principles and UNHCR operations
21st March, 2017.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should should submit their applications/letters of motivation, CV's and fully completed and signed UN Personal History Form (P11) to: [email protected] quoting in the subject line the above vacancy notice number and title of the position.
Click here to download the Personal History Form (P11)
- There is no need to send other certificates with the application at this stage.
- Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
- Kindly note that only short-listed applicants will be contacted.
- Applications from female candidates are strongly encouraged.
This post first appeared on Current Vacancies, Jobs In Nigeria, Latest Employm, please read the originial post: here