A 55-year-old woman, Patience Ugbana, and her daughter, Adaeze, 10, have been electrocuted in Nnewi, Anambra State.
A resident told our correspondent that the incident occurred when a high Tension wire snapped from the pole and fell on the roof of a shop where the mother and daughter were, opposite St Peter Clavers, Nnewi-Nnobi Road.
“The victims were rushed to hospital by sympathizers and doctors confirmed them dead,” the source stated.
The Sector Commander, Federal Road Safety Corps, Anambra State Command, Andrew Kumapayi, advised traders and shop owners not to build shops under high tension electricity wires.
“The traders should seek approval from relevant authorities before constructing any structure under high tension wires to prevent avoidable accidents,” he said.
Confirming the incident, the Police Public Relations Officer in the state, Haruna Mohammed, said it happened on Monday.
He stated, “There was a report at the Otolo Division that one Mrs Patience Ugbana, 55, and her daughter, Miss Adaeze Ugbana, 10, were electrocuted in their shop along St Peter Clavers’ junction, Okpuno Nnewichi, in the Nnewi North Local Government Area of Anambra State, when a high tension electric wire allegedly fell on their shop.
“Police operatives visited the scene and the victims were rushed to the Nnamdi Azikiwe University Teaching Hospital, Nnewi, for treatment, but they were confirmed dead by a medical doctor on duty.”
Mohammed said their corpses were deposited in the hospital’s mortuary for autopsy, while investigation would be carried out to ascertain the circumstances surrounding the incident. punch