We love to group all the possible characteristics on some foods or ingredients so that you have a quite complete information about it and today it has touched turmeric.
So we will tell you all about Turmeric :
- Benefits and
- Use in food
1. Properties of Turmeric
When we talk about Turmeric, we can refer to the plant that is family of the Zingiberaceae, directly related to ginger, although in our particular case, we refer specifically to the rhizome of turmeric that is used ground as a spice and dye in the kitchen.
Proceeds or is used more often in Asian cuisine. As for its flavor, it is a spice that has a very spicy taste . Emphasize that turmeric is also one of the main components of curry, so in many recipes it is usual to find it.
The main active component of turmeric is curcumin, which is responsible for providing the characteristic yellow color to turmeric, but not only provides color, but also is responsible for providing different beneficial properties to turmeric.Turmeric has very interesting properties for the body is also used to improve depression and also has anti-inflammatory properties that help in arthritis, people with Alzheimer’s, cancer, and others that we will see below.
2. Benefits of Turmeric
It should be noted that turmeric has quite important anti-inflammatory properties and for this reason, it is a special consideration in people suffering from arthritis, as it helps to calm the pain and eliminate toxins from the body. It is also a useful spice in athletes as it helps keep our joints in perfect condition.
- Among the benefits of turmeric, it also highlights the improvement of blood circulation , which helps prevent atherosclerosis among other diseases.
- In addition it helps to improve the metabolism of fatty acids, causing the liver to perform better certain functions related to the assimilation of nutrients.
- For people with diabetes, it is a great ally against blood sugar reduction , but not only that, but turmeric is a great antioxidant that helps protect our body from the different harmful effects that can cause us free radicals.
- For this reason, turmeric is a great ally in the fight against cancer, although we all know that this multi factorial diseases and that at the moment there is no antidote or miracle, but there are certain foods that can help in the fight against prevention Of this.
- Benefits have also been found in the use of turmeric against Alzheimer’s disease and it has been found to reduce pain and stiffness in patients with osteoarthritis of the knee.
- In addition, a study published in 2007 in the journal Advanced Experimental Medical Biology, concludes on how curcumin has been shown to have antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, antiviral, antibacterial, anti-fungal and anti-cancer activity.
- With this we can say that turmeric has great potential against common diseases like diabetes, some allergies, arthritis, Alzheimer’s and other chronic diseases.
Turmeric includes essential nutrients for the body, dietary fiber, niacin, vitamins C, E and K, sodium, potassium, calcium, copper, iron, magnesium and zinc.
3. Use of Turmeric in the Kitchen
Turmeric is a spice that can be used when cooking vegetables or any recipe in which we cook, as in grilled foods. For example, in the face of cooked foods, it is interesting to add one to three teaspoons of ground turmeric at the end of cooking about one to three minutes before turning the heat off.It is important to emphasize that we should not anticipate including turmeric in our recipe, because cooking destroys curcuminoids, which are the active ingredients of turmeric.
So the best way to use turmeric is at the end of cooking or even in raw foods, for example when we make a vinaigrette, homemade mayonnaise, a gazpacho or even sandwiches.
The post 7 Powerful Benefits and Uses of Turmeric is Good…for Your Health appeared first on KRX Media.