The role of emotional and Spiritual well-being in the overall scheme of things has been long ignored and forgotten. Many studies have acknowledged the importance of spiritual therapy for recovery from physical ailments.
That said, there is no need to wait for a decline in emotional and spiritual well-being and consequently physical energy to take up spiritual therapy. There is never a good time or a bad time for improving spiritual wellness. Earlier the better.
This article attempts to answer some of the common questions on the topic of spiritual well-being and therapy. Read on to learn how to lead a healthy lifestyle in all senses.
What is spiritual healing?
The dictionary defines spiritual therapy as “the activity of making a person healthy without using medicines or other physical methods”. To understand the true meaning of spiritual therapy, we need to go beyond a dictionary definition.
Spiritual therapy is the activity of harmonizing, balancing, and restoring spiritual energy. In the practical sense, it is the mystical experience of reconnecting with our essential being – who we are at the core.
Spiritual awakening and spiritual therapy go hand-in-hand for most of us. Spiritual awakening or enlightenment happens when you are jolted out of your sleep-walking mode of living in which everything you experience is colored by your ego. You become aware of yourself, your position in this world, and your connection with everything else.
Does it involve religion?
Spirituality and religion are two separate concepts that are often considered together to help us relate to these abstract ideas.
Religion is the belief in God or a higher being. It involves organized beliefs and ritualistic practices of worship. It is a communal institution to display our belief in Divine power.
On the other hand, the spirit or the soul is the essential nature of an individual. Spirituality is more about finding the purpose of life and our existence in this world. It is about the search for happiness, contentment, peace, and finding a balance.
Prayer is the bridge that connects our spiritual being to the higher being. This is where religion and spirituality meet, leading to confusing one with the other. However, prayers can be practiced outside a religious context, thus untangling the connection between the two.
Some of the spiritual awakening methods outside the religious space are Affirmations, yoga, meditation, tai chi, and journaling.
How can affirmations help in spiritual therapy?
Affirmations are positive statements that have the power to change the way we think and function. Practicing affirmations regularly can help connect to our true selves as well as the higher being.
Repeating affirmations is known to strengthen our faith in God and ourselves. By affirming your faith in God, you are bringing yourself closer to God and aiding in your spiritual growth. You can also use affirmations to find your true nature and help eliminate the negative elements and develop your positives.
Affirmations help in spiritual therapy by prompting us to choose love, kindness, compassion, happiness, peace, and harmony in our lives as well as in the way we connect with others around us.
The benefits of spiritual awakening are not restricted to the spiritual domain alone. Many recent studies have established the undeniable connection between our spiritual and physical well-being.
Are affirmations dangerous, evil, or sinful?
By and of itself affirmations are anything but unhealthy, dangerous, evil, or sinful. Affirmations are just simple positive statements meant to uplift people out of their emotional turmoil and provide them with hope and confidence to live their lives to the fullest at the best of their abilities.
However, the way some affirmations are worded may interfere with some religious beliefs and tenets. Some points where this clash of views happen are:
- Who is the focus of affirmations?
- Are affirmations bending the truth?
- Do affirmations recognize your limitation as human beings?
In a regular affirmation, “I” or the person practicing the affirmation is in focus. This may not agree with most religious beliefs.
Religious texts tell us to turn to God for a better life. Understanding the need for God and His blessings would offer us happiness and peace of mind. And treating ourselves without limitations is similar to considering us as God.
To conform to your religious convictions, you may use verses from the religious texts as affirmations. You would still benefit from daily affirmations without transgressing or trampling on faith.
Even if your religion allows you to focus on yourself, affirmations use the technique of perceiving the manifestation of goals in the future as the reality of the present. That is bending the truth to suit your purpose as this is found to be an effective method to shift mindsets. As it is not the absolute truth, this process may not agree with religious tenets.
Affirmations can be any positive statement. If some affirmations do not conform to your religious belief, you may omit and ignore them. You can still derive benefits from daily affirmations by choosing the right ones. In fact, religious texts are unlimited resources for spiritual affirmations.
What does the Bible say about spiritual affirmations?
The Bible is a veritable treasure trove of affirmations of all kinds. Biblical affirmations concentrate on the power and strength of Christ to change our lives.
The Bible offers ways to improve all aspects of our lives including spirituality or our connection with God. Through the Bible, God has made us promises. We need to activate these promises by affirming them.
Some affirmations from the Bible for spiritual therapy are listed below.
- I am the Lord that heals you. (Exodus 15:26)
- Resist the devil and he will flee from you. (James 4:7)
- With his stripes, we are healed. (Isaiah 53:5)
- Merry heart is good medicine. (Proverbs 17:22)
- Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever. (Hebrews 13:8)
7 daily affirmations to improve your wellbeing
Unless you are comfortable in your skin, there is no point in improving the other aspects of your life such as relationships or finances. Often, we are our worst critics, constantly judging ourselves, feeling guilty, and pulling ourselves down. The way you look at yourself is very crucial to your well-being.
These daily affirmations can change the way you perceive and treat yourself – in a more positive way with awareness and kindness.
- I love myself for who I am.
- I believe in my dreams.
- I give my best to everything I do.
- I am the master of my fate and the captain of my soul.
- I accept full responsibility for my actions and words.
- I am immensely grateful for everything in my life.
- The best is yet to come.
What are spiritual affirmations?
Spiritual affirmations are positive statements designed for the spiritual awakening or enlightenment of the soul. They are meant to get you closer to your true self and God. Unlike regular affirmations that are more materialistic, spiritual affirmations are intended to improve your spiritual and emotional well-being.
Spiritual affirmations need not be linked to any particular religion or can be altered to suit your religious beliefs. All you need to do is substitute “God” with the Higher Power, the Almighty, the Universe, the Divine Power, the Mother Earth, or God of any faith like Christianity, Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism, or Judaism.
Spiritual affirmations are similar to prayers. It helps us connect with the Universe, ourselves, and those around us. It is a reminder that we originated from the same source and are all part of the same source.
50 powerful spiritual affirmations for healing and well-being
- I am the creation of God and I sense the presence of God always.
- I feel reassured that God has got my back.
- My body, mind, and soul are in total harmony with the Universe.
- My actions, words, and thoughts are guided by God.
- Everything in my life happens for the higher good.
- I have unwavering faith in God.
- I surrender myself to God.
- I am grateful for all the blessings.
- Divine love fills me up with joy and peace of mind.
- God works through me to make this world a better place.
- I am anchored in divine love.
- I am thankful to God for good health.
- I am open to divine healing.
- I surrender my pain and suffering before God and trust in God to take care of my healing.
- I consider my body as the sacred abode of God.
- I breathe in divine love.
- I am connected to the unlimited love of the Universe.
- I am happy to allow God to guide me in everything I do.
- I sense the divine presence in every creation.
- I feel safe and secure in the divine embrace.
- I am a creation of God and I deserve His blessings.
- I am living in the moment and am grateful for all experiences, good as well as bad.
- The loving divine presence gives me the strength to overcome life’s hurdles.
- God is always with me and I am always with God.
- I feel the love of God flowing through me every single moment.
- I believe in a loving and compassionate God who is always looking out for me.
- I love God and God loves me.
- I surrender my life to the divine power.
- My heart is overflowing with gratitude for divine love.
- I allow God to do His work through me.
- I am open to receive divine guidance.
- I sense the divine presence in my heart.
- I feel divine blessings today.
- I find myself living in the ocean of divine love.
- I sense positive healing energy flowing freely through me.
- I take good care of myself.
- I feel the healing divine presence.
- I am grateful to God for healing and good health.
- God’s eternal love flows through me, in me, and as me.
- I delight in the grace of God.
- Divine love dominates my every experience.
- I am a magnet for unlimited love and divine blessings.
- I deserve and expect the best today and every day.
- God is great and life is wonderful.
- I am the divine expression of love.
- God is within me, around me, and protecting me.
- God helps me find hope in the darkest days and focus on goodness.
- I am healthy because of the presence of God in me.
- My body is the Temple of God.
- Through the power of God within me, I can rise above trials and tribulations.
How to derive the best from spiritual affirmations?
Affirmations are plenty for you to choose from. Whether using existing ones or writing them on your own, ensure they are precise, concise, and define what you want accurately.
Choose 2 – 5 affirmations at a time and stick with them for some time. Allow them time to succeed.
Do not repeat affirmation without paying attention. Connect with them for a better outcome.
Repeat them with a positive mindset and sincerity as your subconscious mind is absorbing every word of it.
Our hectic lifestyle in this maddening world can leave us with no time for spiritual awakening or therapy. Even if we recognize how vital they are to our existence, we may ignore our need for enlightenment until it is too late.
Through spiritual affirmations, we get to rediscover our soul – our true self – and to satisfy our yearning to find happiness and peace of mind. This is a crucial process to living a healthy life in all the senses.
You may also be interested in:
- 20 Powerful Abundance Affirmations to Fast-Track Your Wealth
- 35 Best Encouraging Affirmations for Others
- 70 Love & Relationship Affirmations You Can Start Today
- Best 72 Positive Affirmation to Start the Day
- 50 Best Morning Affirmations to Kick-start Your Great Day