Bakersfield, CA, USA
Kern Community College District
Food Service Assistant III-Food Services (40 hours./11 months)
Kern Community College District
Position Number: 02992
Posting Date: 12/13/2019
Position Closing Date: 1/12/2020
Initial Screening Date: 01/06/2020
Open Until Filled: No
Position Type: Classified
Work Week: 40 hours per week, 11 month position
Minimum Salary: $2,253.89 per month
Maximum Salary: $3,184.70 per month
Kern Community College District provides a rich health and welfare benefits offering to our employees, including Health, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance, and Long-term Disability.
In addition to the above benefits, the District also offers a robust voluntary benefits selection:
- Flex 125
- Additional products and services through American Fidelity
- Supplemental voluntary life insurance
- Tax Shelter Annuities
The District participates in CalPERS retirement system and Social Security benefits for Classified and Management employees. Employees covered under the California Public Employees Retirement System (CalPERS), are vested 100% after five years of full time service credit. All coverages begin on the first day of the month following the hire date.
College/Site: Bakersfield College
Location: BC-Main Campus
The Food Service Assistant III classification performs cashiering and cash management duties in addition to performing responsible food service preparation and service activities. Incumbents serve as leads, training and providing work direction to assigned students assistants and staff. The Food Service Assistant I classification performs routine food service activities at an assigned site. Incumbents prepare and serve food from a snack cart and perform basic cashiering duties. The Food Service Assistant II classification performs more responsible and varied food service preparation and service activities in addition to performing cashiering duties.
Monitor and participate in the preparation, production and serving of main dishes, bakery products and other large quantity dishes according to menu specifications; observe quality and quantity of food served according to established procedures; assure proper temperature of foods.
Assure compliance with kitchen safety and sanitation regulations; maintain food quality standards including appearance and nutritional requirements; monitor and record temperature of freezers and refrigerators.
Prepare and assemble sandwiches, meats, fruit, vegetables, dressings, salads and other food items; set-up, replenish and maintain cleanliness of salad bars as needed; monitor and replenish stock levels of condiments, utensils and dishes; fill ice machine, water container and soda dispensers.
Operate a cash register, calculator and coin counting machine; perform cashiering duties; accept money for food and beverages sold; maintain records of meals and beverages served and monies collected; collect cash drawers at end of shift; read register tapes and count cash drawers.
Clean serving counters, tables, chairs, food containers and other food service equipment and areas; assist with washing and drying dishes and utensils as needed.
Train and provide work direction to assigned food service employees and student workers; monitor the performance of staff in production, preparation and serving activities; prepare time sheets for student workers.
Estimate and cost food and supplies needed for operation; receive, inspect, verify and accept delivery of food and supplies; coordinate the storage of unused food and supplies and disposal of unusable
leftovers; utilize proper methods of storing foods.
Prepare lunches and food carts for the child care centers; maintain related records.
Inventory food supplies and equipment according to established procedures; maintain related records.
Operate a variety of equipment and machines used in a school cafeteria.
Assist with coordinating food service operations for catering, luncheons and other special events as assigned; drive a vehicle to transport food to outside events.
Perform related duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
Any Combination Equivalent To:
Graduation from high school and two years experience in the operation of preparing and/or serving food.
LICENSES AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS :
- Possession of, or ability to obtain, a valid California Driver's License.
- Possession of, or ability to obtain, a valid California Sanitation Certificate.
- Satisfactory completion of pre-employment physical assessment.
Knowledge and Abilities:
- Sanitation and safety practices related to cooking and serving food.
- Math and cashiering skills.
- Record-keeping techniques.
- Methods of preparing and serving food in large quantities.
- Operation of food service equipment and a cash register.
- Rules and regulations pertaining to health and safety in the cafeteria.
- Interpersonal skills using tact, patience and courtesy.
- Inventory methods and practices.
- Principles of training and providing work direction.
- Storage and rotation of perishable food.
- Nutritional requirements of school-aged children.
- Oral and written communication skills.
- Operate food service equipment safely and efficiently.
- Maintain food service equipment and areas in a clean and sanitary condition.
- Prepare and serve food in accordance with health and sanitation regulations.
- Prepare appetizing and nutritionally balanced meals.
- Prepare and bake various bakery items such as bread, rolls, buns, cakes and cookies.
- Assure that food items are prepared, served and stored properly.
- Follow, adjust and extend recipes.
- Operate a cash register and make change accurately.
- Establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with others.
- Train and provide work direction to others.
- Interpret, apply and explain policies, procedures, rules and regulations related to assigned activities.
- Assign and review the work of others.
- Communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
Salary Grade: 31.5
Special Instructions to Applicants:
I*+First Review of Applications:+*
Complete application packets will be accepted until the position is filled; but those received by 5:00 p.m. (Pacific Standard Time) on December 6, 2019 are assured consideration. The College reserves the right to extend time limits or reinitiate the recruitment/selection process at any point.
Completed application packet must include:
• Completed Online Application for Employment form
• Current resume
• Letter of interest (Cover Letter)
• Copy of legible transcripts, if applicable
• List of six (6) professional references - Listed on application form
Applicants who require reasonable accommodation to participate in the selection process should contact Human Resources to make the necessary arrangements.
Additional openings that become available prior to the end of the hiring process may also be filled from the qualified applicants.
The District does not provide sponsorship for authorization to work in the United States. Work authorization should be established at the time of application submission.
All applicants must apply online at (please use the apply button below). Emails will not be accepted.
As an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer, the Kern Community College District encourages candidates with diverse backgrounds to apply.
Copyright Jobelephant Inc. All rights reserved.