Manhattan, KS, USA
Kansas State University
About This Role:
Housing and Dining Services offers a unique and exciting opportunity for full-time employment (with benefits) as a Cook with Union Station by JP's Gastropub, an on-campus full-service restaurant.
Cook positions offer the opportunity to prepare quality Food in a diverse team environment dedicated to providing and supporting a "guest first" service culture and to demonstrate work habits that support a goal-oriented team environment. We are seeking qualified applicants for two openings.
Why Join Us:
Housing and Dining Services (HDS) is a large, self-operated auxiliary department serving more than 5,000 students that call the K-State campus home. This "home away from home" meets more than the basic needs of students living with us - we provide affordable, safe and engaging accommodations for our residents while finding unique ways to support them in their academic pursuits.
In addition to serving students and the campus community, our retail venues provide the opportunity to serve the local community. HDS retail operations include JP's Sports Grill, Cornerstone Coffee & Bakery, The Bakery at Derby Dining Center, Quik Cats Convenience Stores, Overtime Grill at Kramer Dining Center and Union Station by JP's, our newest retail restaurant that includes catering services.
This position is benefits eligible: health insurance, life insurance, retirement plans, tuition assistance program, paid time off--vacation, sick and holidays.
To learn more visit: http:/
We Support Diversity and Inclusion:
Kansas State University embraces diversity and promotes inclusion in every sector of the institution. The university actively seeks individuals whose commitments and contributions will advance the University's dedication to the Principles of Community.
Duties / Responsibilities:
- Prepare and serve high-quality food, catering production and coordinate food production using made-to-order cooking methods appropriate for a restaurant environment. Follow menus and uses standardized recipes to produce food products. Tastes and evaluates products to ensure quality standards are met.
- Coordinate food production and service. Meet timelines for opening restaurant. Monitor compliance to quality standards.
- Make production assignments for hourly student employees throughout meal production. Direct and train students to follow established food production procedures, safe equipment use, sanitary food handling techniques, correct lifting methods, safe use of sanitizers and chemicals, efficient work habits and appropriate apparel and attendance compliance.
- Participate in training sessions, regularly scheduled staff meetings, and adheres to all HACCP procedures and food safety practices.
- Develop and maintain good working relationships with students, and management staff. Enforce student employee dress and conduct code requirements.
- Under the direction of management, assist in maintaining controls for effectively using resource. Suggests operational changes when indicated for better use of resources.
What You'll Need to Succeed:
- One year of experience in commercial/institutional cooking.
- 1-3 years cooking experience in a restaurant setting.
- Considerable knowledge of "from scratch" batch food preparation, proper use of equipment, food safety, sanitation, and safety procedures.
- Ability to present prepared food attractively.
- Ability to develop and maintain congenial work relationships with others.
- Ability to understand and follow written and oral instructions.
- High school graduation/GED
- ServSafe certification
- Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States at the time of employment
- Ability work variable shifts. Shifts will consistently total 40 hours per week.
How to Apply:
Please complete the online application form
Screening of Applications Begins:
Immediately and continues until position is filled.
Anticipated Rate of Pay Upon Hire:
$11.00 per hour*
Some work shifts are eligible for an additional shift differential of $.60 per hour.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Kansas State University is an Equal Opportunity Employer of individuals with disabilities and protected veterans and actively seeks diversity among its employees.
Background Screening Statement:
In connection with your application for employment, Kansas State University will procure a Background Screen on you as part of the process of considering your candidacy as an employee.