If you plan ahead you will save time. This applies even if you are Moving personally or hiring a removalist / company. Hit the ground running by creating a complete moving checklist you may use to plan your relocation in advance.
Tick off as completed and see your progress! Share your checklist with your partner, email to family or print. It’s easy to follow and keeps you on track
If Packing Yourself
- Buy boxes, labels, tape, pens, markers, bubble wrap – we supply these.
- Avoid using newspaper as the ink may rub off, instead use clean butcher paper
- Label every box and include contents and preferred room.
- Take inventory of each box – If it’s fragile, write it on the box and document any dents.
- Pack heavy things in small boxes and lighter things in big boxes. Keep the heavier things on the bottom.
- Take apart your furniture or call us to do it but don’t forget to collect and label your screws in a separate box with other essentials including remote controls, bed legs, keys, reassembly instructions.
- Consider taking sentimental and personal items with you.
Do you need help packing?
2 Weeks before Moving
- Notify all relevant authorities of your updated address
- Return anything that you borrowed, such as library books, movies, and your neighbour’s lawn mower.
- Arrange for your utilities and services like internet, gas, electricity, phone to be disconnected and transferred to your new address.
- Arrange for your electricity and gas meter to be read,
- Terminate any delivery services including newspapers, automated payment plans, and your local gym membership.
- Arrange for a locksmith to change the keys to your new home.
- Request leave from work for moving day.
- Ensure your new home has been thoroughly cleaned, including the oven and steam cleaning the carpets – we offer a wide range of cleaning services.
Get Free Utility Connection: Gas, Electricity, Phone, Internet, Pay TV
The week before moving
- Put aside the towels, blankets, and bed linens you intend to use the first night.
- Map out a plan for every room in your new house with furniture placement – this helps put items where they belong.
- Back up your computer just in case and pack up your home office supplies.
- Confirm your moving details with removalists, lawyers, and real estate agents. Make sure the movers have all contact numbers, the new address and clear moving instructions.
- Arrange access and parking for the removalist truck.
The Day Before Moving
- Defrost and empty out the fridge. Use a portable cooler with plenty of ice to transport your feed. Don’t forget to clean the oven and vacuum over the place once before leaving.
- Pack up your personal items to take with you.
- If you are using our professional movers, remember to please leave out important items for us to use during the day, night and following day.
- Unplug and tie up all appliance cords.
- Keep a bit of emergency cash with you for last minute expenses.
- Is your house is going to remain vacant for an extended period of time let your neighbours know.
- Prepare a plan of action for the big day.
- Provide your removalist with the new address and moving plan
- Ask your removalist to load items of necessity last, such as kitchen supplies or linens.
- Ensure your water meter, gas meter and electricity meter are read.
- Collect your house keys
- Check off each box as it comes off the loading truck
- Lock the doors and windows, turn off hot water and electricity
- Return keys to the new tenant or Agent
- Remove the garage door opener from your car
The post Do It Yourself Moving Checklist appeared first on Kyle Bay Removals.