Last week on #NoHacked, we have shared on hack detection and the reasons why you might get hacked. This week we focus on prevention and here are some tips for you!
- Top ways websites get hacked by spammers:
Understanding how your site was compromised is an important part of protecting your site from attacks, here sometop ways that sites get compromised by spammers.
- Be mindful of your sources! Be very careful of a free premium theme/plugin! You probably have heard about free premium plugins! If you've ever stumbled upon a site offering you Plugins you normally have to purchase for free, be very careful. Many hackers lure you in by copying a popular plugin and then add backdoors or malware that will allow them to access your site. Read more about a similar case on the Sucuri blog. Additionally, even legit good quality plugins and themes can become dangerous if :
- you do not update them as soon as a new version becomes available
- the developer of said theme or plugin does not update them, and they become old over time.
- Botnet in wordpress A botnetis a cluster of machines, devices, or websites under the control of a third party often used to commit malicious acts, such as operating spam campaigns, clickbots, or DDoS. It's difficult to detect if your site has been infected by a botnet because there are often no specific changes to your site. However, your site's reputation, resources, and data are at risk if your site is in a botnet. Learn more about botnets, how to detect them, and how they can affect your site at Botnet in wordpress and joomla article.