A damper is referred to as something that regulates the flow of air inside a duct, chimney or air handlers. Smoke dampers prevent the spread of smoke from an area where the fire started to other spaces connected by the ductwork of the building. They may be used in air conditioning and also in the ventilation ductwork. A fire damper closes when there is a rise in temperature. Fire smoke dampers also operate in the same manner and prevent the spread of smoke.
Things to know about a smoke damper
- Smoke dampers are installed in the air conditioning and ventilation ductwork of a building. They are operated by a factory installed electric or pneumatic actuator. They may be controlled by smoke detectors or by fire alarms.
- Passive smoke control system closes upon the detection of smoke and prevents circulation.
- Engineering smoke control system controls smoke migration using barriers to create pressure differences.
- The location must be adjacent to smoke barriers in not more than 24 inches distance. Smoke dampers are directly installed in the duct. Joints between the damper and the duct should be properly sealed to prevent unwanted leakage.
- Combined fire smoke dampers are used in HVAC systems required to have both fire and smoke dampers. They close on detecting heat in the duct or smoke by the smoke detectors.
- Smoke fire damper inspection should be done in accordance with the National Fire Protection Association (NFCA).
- Damper functioning is verified by removing and resetting the fusible link. Electric and pneumatic actuators are checked for proper functioning.
Ensuring fire smoke damper compliance can be done by the following methods
-Performing inspections, both visual and physical
- Maintaining proper documentation
-Setting up a maintenance plan
Smoke fire dampers are controlled by the levels of smoke in the ductwork sensed by the smoke detectors and fire alarms and also the increase in temperature in the duct and close the damper in accordance.
Modern era buildings use highly complex and sophisticated design and infrastructure, and hence the occurrence of fire is a serious issue in relation to human life, property, and wastage of resources. Hence the use of fire smoke dampers in HVAC systems is relevant. Also, it is important to procure these vital components from reputed manufacturers such as KAD air conditioning in UAE.
This post first appeared on Why Is It Important To Buy AHU Only From Eurovent Certified Manufacturers?, please read the originial post: here