The African Development Bank (AfDB) is in the process of recruiting a Consultant to conduct a comparative cost study for developing an environmentally and socially friendly Coal industry for power and industrial application in Nigeria.
The services included under this assignment are as follows:
- Ascertain the financial, economic and technical feasibilities of an integrated coal and power project in Nigeria, including the entire range of industrial uses and applications of coal besides its use as a fuel for power generation, and the amount of coal that would be required for the project;
- Undertake a high-level assessment of the investment required for coal to power and industrial application, investors universe and their appetite for Nigeria;
- Assess clean coal technology options for mining and power generation capable of achieving goals and targets set in Paris Accord on a sustainable basis. This will also involve identifying and assessing countries, such as Japan, that have found cost effective and economic ways to better utilize coal resources and obtain clean coal at coal mines and the use of mining technology to support better productivity and safety;
- Undertake a high-level assessment of the viability of an integrated mining and power project that takes cognisance of macroeconomic realities, electricity tariffs, sector liquidity, funding sources, adequacy of commercial framework, risks and mitigation strategies etc.
- Assess all the capital and production costs involved in developing a coal mining operation in an environmentally, socially, and cost friendly way and achieving sustainable coal development. Specifically, the focus should be on the potential environmental and social impacts and required mitigation as well as potential costs
- Conduct a report validation/ dissemination workshop to receive comments before the submission of final report.
Shortlisted candidates will be provided with the Terms of Reference that contains more detailed information about project objectives, scope of work, deliverables and other related issues.
The experience required of the Consultant is as detailed below:
- Minimum education to Masters/MBA level in Economics, Finance, Law, Engineering, and other relevant disciplines with work experience of not less than fifteen (15) years in the mining and energy sector particularly in conducting regulatory planning and management in the mining, energy, utility, or infrastructure sector. Relevant experience in the coal industry will be an added advantage.
- Strong familiarity with the Nigerian power sector policies, legislation, regulation, and strategies and experience in dealing with these issues is essential. Ability to analyze other sector legislation and regulations to design strategies is an added advantage
- Strong knowledge of spreadsheet modelling (advanced Microsoft Excel) essential
- Experience of dealing with Nigerian energy issues is essential
- A strong communicator with good inter-personal skills.
Assumption of duties and Duration of Contract
The successful applicant may be expected to assume duties in June 1, 2018 or earlier. The duration of the contract is three (3) months.
Eligibility criteria, establishment of the short-list and the selection procedure shall be in accordance with the African Development Bank’s “Rules and Procedures for the use of Consultants May 2008 edition, revised July 2012” which is available on the Bank’s website at http://www.afdb.org.
Interested consultant may obtain further information at the address below from Monday to Friday during office hours (8.30 a.m. – 5.30 p.m.).
Expressions of interest must be delivered to the address below not later than Monday, May 7, 2018 at 5.30 p.m. and indicate “Individual Consultant Services”.
African Development Bank – Nigeria Country Department
Attn: Mr. Laté D. Lawson Zankli, Country Operations Manager
1521 Cadastral Zone A0, Off Memorial Close, Beside Silverbird Galleria
Central Business District
Tel: +234 (9) 462 1030/76 Ext. 7751
E-mail: [email protected]
Source: Press Release
The post AfDB looking to engage consultant for Environmentally Friendly Coal to power projects in Nigeria appeared first on Energy News | Oil and Gas News.